Chapter 6 (REWRITE)

Rose was asleep on the ground, in one of the only spots where the floor still remained intact. Her sister had just woken up and was stretching; her parents were already up and packing what little they had. They had only been living in the remains of the house for two days. The house had black marks where a fire had been, and the four walls were barely standing. Part of the roof had a hole in it, allowing light to come through in the corner of the house. Even though the house was destroyed, it was one of the only shelters they had found. However, they had to keep moving.

"It's time to get up Rose, we have to go soon," her dad said as he continued to pack his bag, running his fingers through his long, dirty, and tangled hair.

"Five more minutes, dad," Rose said as she snuggled closer to the blanket. Her mother walked over to her and pulled the covers off of her. Rose groaned out of annoyance and sat up. She slowly woke up and started to gather her things. Picking up the one book she had, she carefully placed it in her bag, trying not to damage it anymore than it already was.

Without warning, the door burst open. Within seconds, vampires were invading the house. Rose's dad tried to reach the bag that had their weapons, but he was grabbed and thrown against the wall. Everyone else soon met the same treatment.

A vampire stared at them intensely – he was the Shopkeeper, trying to figure out which humans he wanted in his shop. He tapped his finger against his lip as he thought.

"Her," he said as he pointed to Rose. A vampire picked Rose up and threw her into the Shopkeeper's arms before she could react. He wrapped one arm around her, holding her arms in place.

"No!" Rose's dad screamed as he stood up, but he was pushed back against a wall. The vampire put his foot on her dad's chest. He pressed down, hard. Rose's dad groaned in pain.

"Please, not my baby girl. Please," Rose's dad tried to plead with them. Even though Rose was the older sibling, her dad always called her his baby. Mostly because she looked more like him, while her sister looked like their mother, having dirty blonde hair and hazel eyes. The vampire grabbed Rose's dad by the collar of his shirt. He lifted him off the ground and slammed him against the wall. Rose's dad groaned in pain as he hit the floor. Rose's mom covered her mouth with both hands as her sister began to cry.

The Shopkeeper grabbed one of Rose's hands and brought it up to his mouth. She struggled as she saw his fangs descended. He pricked her finger as he tasted her blood.

"AB Negative." He sounded slightly surprised before a smile lit up his face, his fangs on full display. "Haven't had that in a few years." His eyes looked to the rest of the family and his smile fell. "I don't need any more of them. You boys can have a snack."

"NNOO!" Rose screamed as she struggled in his grasp. His arm didn't move. She kicked toward him and grabbed his arm, trying to pry or at least loosen his grip, but to no avail.

A vampire picked up Rose's dad. He shoved him against the wall and held her father's hands together with one hand. His other hand latched into the dad's hair and held his head in place. He leaned down and pierced his neck.

Rose's dad held in a scream as he bit down on the side of his mouth. He wouldn't give these monsters the satisfaction that they wanted. He struggled, causing him more pain and making an involuntary painful grunt sound from his mouth.

Rose closed her eyes and turned her head away.

"Look," the Shopkeeper said as he grabbed her chin and turned it in the direction of her father. She wouldn't open her eyes. "Look, or I will literally rip your mom and sister apart while they are still alive." She needed to learn to obey, even if she didn't want to. Pets obey!