Chapter 20 (REWRITE)

Rose slowly opened her eyes and looked around. Henry was leaning back, his head against the arm of the couch. One of his hands was holding hers while his other arm was wrapped around her.

"Good morning," Henry murmured, his eyes still closed.

"Morning," she said as she sat up and stretched.

Henry opened his eyes and sat up.

"Where did your mom go?" Rose asked, realizing Lisa was gone for the first time.

Henry's lips pursed and stared at a wall. "She's helping Rider." He felt as Rose sat up more and looked at him. Before her confused thoughts could reach him, he continued. "Rose, Rider isn't. . . ." He trailed off and looked at her. It was hard to tell someone who had literally been beaten and abused that the person who did it to them wasn't evil. "He's not in control all the time."

What does that mean? Rose thought. As soon as she realized that he heard that, it was too late.

"It's hard to explain. I'm not excusing anything that he's done, but . . . it wasn't always him. When we were kids, my dad liked Rider more, but that backfired. Due to circumstances, my father didn't have complete control of his power." Henry shrugged and ran his fingers through his hair.

"What," - she scooted closer - "what's his power. Your dad's?"

"Manipulation."

Realization struck Rose. "So your d-dad manipulated Rider into-"

"Hating humans," he finished for her.

She could see the uneasiness and pain the subject brought Henry. While she still had no intention of forgiving Rider for anything he had done, she understood. The darkness that entered his eyes at the most random of times that would lead to the most violent of beatings became just a bit more clear.

He quickly kissed her cheek. "I'll go make breakfast," Henry said before Rose could tell him she was sorry for him. He stood up and walked to the kitchen.

Rose stood up and took a step forward to join him. Suddenly, she slammed into something and began to fall.

Henry's arms quickly wrapped around her and pulled her upright.

"Wh-what was that?" Rose asked as she looked around, finding she was in the kitchen. Her hands clung to his shirt and Henry couldn't help but smile.

"That was called super speed."

"How do I control it?"

"Um, it's like regular running . . . you just get there faster." Though she didn't say anything, he could sense her confusion. "I'll teach you how to control it after we eat." He picked her up and carried her to her stool, both because he wanted to and because part of him was scared she would accidentally run straight through a wall.

He began to prepare breakfast.

Rose slowly stood up from the stool and Henry couldn't control the small laugh that passed through his lips.

"I'm almost tempted not to teach you how to control your speed so you have to move like that from now on." He was still laughing. She looked up at him. "I'm joking, I'll teach you. Come here," he murmured as he picked her up and walked her to the middle of the room.

"How come my speed is kicking in now?"

"Um." He tilted his head to the side. "I guess things like speed and your gift will come at a delay? I'm not really sure though, humans are rarely changed." He let her slip from his arms and within the next second, he was across the room.