Chapter 33: Progress

-Dre-

I pulled up to Mr Chow's and hopped out with my body guard, Big John in tow. Cameras flashed everywhere as paparazzi swarmed me. I kept my head low as I stepped into the restaurant and was instantly met with a maitre'd. I guess being number one draft pick had it's perks.

"Reservation for 2, Deandre Jones." I said. The maitre'd smiled before checking for my reservation.

"Ah, yes. Ms. Ford arrived a few minutes ago." the short white man informed me as he escorted me to the table. Kyra sat with her back facing me as I made my way towards her. I leaned forward, kissing her cheek as I hugged her. She looked up, smiling at me before she pecked my lips. I guess you could say me and her kinda reconnected. We weren't anything more than friends but that was fine for me. Obviously, I wanted more than that, but I was actually enjoying being close to her again. She was different, not completely, but just enough. She certainly wasn't the naive teenage girl she use to be. She was way more mature now. Her style was still unique but it was a lot more grown and sexy. It suited her.

"What's up, babes. How was your day?" she asked me. I took a seat, removing my leather jacket and hangin it on the back of my chair.

"Hectic. I been doin interviews all damn day." I replied.

"Ooo, hope you turned on the charm. Endorsements, that is your goal. Once you get endorsements, you get that real money." she replied. I chuckled.

"Damn, is money all you think about these days?" I said. She smirked.

"Hell yeah, what else is there to think about?" she replied, takin a sip of a burgundy colored drink. I quirked my eyebrow at her. How did she get wine? She's not old enough to drink yet.

"Chill. It's not wine, it's cranberry juice." she said, reading my mind.

"There are more things to life than money, Ky." I said.

"Things like what, Dre? Nothing seems more important at this point in time, than getting my paper."

"Family? A love life?" I countered.

"Oh please. As far as I'm concerned, my family is doing just fine without my presence. And I no longer believe in love. That shit is for fairytales and cheesy movies. The only thing I need is my money. My money makes me very happy, happier than any raggedy ass nigguh ever could."

"What about your education, though?"

"What about yours? Remind me again, who quit school to play ball?" she asked sarcastically. I rolled my eyes and smirked at her.

"Touche'."

"Yeah, nigguh. Touche' this dick." she said chuckling.

"Shut up." I said, chuckling with her. She stuck her tongue out at me and I playfully kicked her under the table. I loved this shit. Just me and her kickin it, havin a conversation and bein goofy together again. I started out just wantin pussy from her when I saw her at the restaurant, but the more we kick it, the more I feel like I won't be satisfied with just that. I was startin to remember why we were so close in the first place. We just clicked. We ordered our food and continued to laugh and talk, havin a good old time. This sorta became our ritual. We always met once a week to go and get somethin to eat or to just chill together. She was my best friend again. It was almost like bein back at square one. This is exactly how it use to be back in the day. And for the moment, I was content.

"So what's your plans for the weekend?" I asked her. I was hopin she was free so we could kick it again.

"Well Saturday mornin I got a photoshoot but afterwards, my weekend is clear. I'll probably go to the gym and get my hair and nails done." she replied inbetween bites of her salad.