26 | Home

The bus finally made to Clinton, North Carolina. I get off and begin walking. Hopefully she still lives where she did before. I walk one to two miles, memories were flooding back into my head. Going to heaven, talking to Joshua, everything! His words still echoed in my head "When you go to Hell you must kill Zelda and if you are to fail there will be serious consequence." I shiver remembering the dark blank stare he gave me saying it.

I finally made it to my Nana's house. A large, white two-story with dark trim and a small porch. Just how I remembered. I walk up the front steps and knock on the door. No one answers.

I slowly twisted the knob and open the door. It was too quiet, usually my Nana has her TV on so she doesn't feel alone and the smell of baking waft through the house. I feel like I should leave, but I have to make sure Nana is ok.

Finally she walks through her bedroom door to greet me, "Jessie you're home!" she says hugging me, she felt cold, really cold. I pull away and step back to examine her. "You're looking quite well," I say, playing it off, "Did you run out of supplies? You're usually cooking. I can go buy you more." I say beginning to head out the door. "No, dear. You just got back you don't need to be on your feet like this." she says, attempting to stop me. "I insist, it's the least I can do." I say as sweetly as possible, rushing out the door and closing it behind me before sprinting off.

Tears begin to form in my eyes as I run, the demons must've got to her. I look back once more to see her stopped in the yard and watching me as a black truck pulls up and two men in suits come out.

I pick up the speed, flying by childhood memories. I know how to keep them from following me, at least in a car, and take a detour through house yards. I forced myself to stop crying, knowing that she was in heaven with Kole.

Eventually I make it to Brenda's, a small café I loved as a kid, and take a seat at the window so I can watch the door. By any luck Kole will get out soon, and with nothing much to live for I mine as well stick around for her.