Chapter 24

I woke up to my ringtone blaring and I quickly answered the phone when I saw it was my mom.

"Hi Honey, Did I wake you? It should be two o'clock there."

"It's fine mom, what's up?"

"Well, you've been there about a week now and I know the plan was two, but I'd really like for you to come home tomorrow. The doctors think it may be more serious than what they thought before, but I booked the flight, it's at noon tomorrow. And honey I know you really wanted to-" I cut her off quickly.

"Mom, mom. It's fine, I'll be there for you no matter what. I'll be on that plane tomorrow and with you in no time. I can't wait to see you, I really hope you're okay."

"Thank you honey, it means a lot. Love you, see you tomorrow." and then she hung up.

I slowly got out of the empty bed, Ashton must've already been up.
I walked downstairs and looked around, I didn't see anyone.

"Hello?" I yelled.

"Yea?" Ashton yelled back as he came walking out of the kitchen with Hunter behind him.

"Are Christine and Brandon here too?" I asked quietly.

"Uhm, yea. Hey, mom! Brandon! Come here! Willow needs us." Hunter yelled, I felt a smile play at the edge of my lips.
They all gathered into the living room and looked at me expectantly.

"I have to leave tomorrow, my mom wants me home. They found a lump on her side, as some may know and they told her that they think it might be worse than what they originally thought. So, I'm gonna leave on w flight tomorrow at noon to
be with her. I'm so sorry, u really did want to stay longer." I finished and there was a moment of silence.

"Oh, baby." I heard Christine say as she engulfed me in a hug. "You know, you are one heck of a girl. So brave, so selfless. Hunter you have no clue what kinda girl you have here."

"You're leaving? Nooo." Ashton yelled wrapping his arms around me too.

"Well, I can't believe this." I heard Brandon say. "You're so much fun, I'm gonna miss you." Brandon said hugging me too.
I waited to hear words of comfort from Hunter, but nothing. They all let go of me, Ashton still holding my hand.
I looked around, but Hunter wasn't here anymore.
I looked at Ashton then Brandon and finally Christine, she gave me a weak smile and said "I'm sure he's just upset."
I gave her weak smile and headed upstairs, I got to Hunter's room and the door was shut.
I reached for the knob, but stopped short and knocked.
A brief second and then I heard a click as the door was unlocked and it opened slightly.
I stepped inside and shut the door behind me. I stood right in front of the door face to face with Hunter. His face was so close to mine if I moved even an inch we'd collide.

"You're leaving?"

"Yea."

"Don't you want to work things out with us?" Hunter said gingerly as he ran his thumb down my cheek bone.

"I have to go."

"What happened?"

"My mo-"

"I mean what happened, like with us."

"You told Brandon that we weren't working is what happened." I said through gritted teeth.

"It's not like it used to be."

"How?" I was really starting to get mad.

"It feels different."

"Only to you."

"No, you're different."

"Yea, I'm going through and have been through plenty, Hunter. You act like I'm always gonna be the girl you met, I'm not and if you're in love with that girl than maybe we aren't gonna work. I've had to grow up fast in my life and I keep doing it. I'm always changing, just like you Hunter."

"I did fall in love with that girl, the one that didn't care who or what was happening she did whatever. Where is she?" He put his hand son my shoulder and gave me a light squeeze.

"She exactly where she should be the past. I'm still me, but I realized I need to be there for my mom. Yea, we may not have the best relationship, but I want one and I'm gonna work for it."

"But what about me. What about us?"

"We still have us!"

"No, we're drifting apart and I don't know why. It's like you're pushing away."

"No, it's like you are." I said trying to brush his hands off me, he wouldn't let go and our eyes locked.
     Mine full of rage and sadness, his full of that look.

"What is that?"

     "What?" He asked sounding genuinely curious.

"That look you keep giving me lately. Like you're confused, like you're looking for something and just can't find it.."

     "Us." was all he whispered as he opens the door and walked out.
     I stood there for several silent moments until it dawned on me, us..He was looking for us, the old us.
     I quietly shut the door and slid down to the floor. My head laying in the knees I had pulled to my chest, why'd my life have to falling apart?
     My mom, my mom! Has got something seriously wrong with her and the boy I fell for didn't know if we would make it.