Chapter One<3

"Alexis! Let's go. We are going to be late."

"I'm coming!"

I finished the last details of my makeup and ran downstairs. My mom was tapping her foot impatiently at the door and I looked at her and rolled my eyes.

"This isn't for me Alexis." She said.

"I know!" I snapped.

Today I was getting my license and I was so excited. My dad had promised that he would give me money to buy a car if I passed my driving test and I did so now I'm going to get my picture taken for my license. I was so excited.

"So. Did dad say when he was sending the check for the car?" I asked excitedly.

"I don't know Alexis."

I rolled my eyes at her. My parents have been divorced most of my life. My mom says she was never really in love with my dad to begin with but I know that was a lie and she secretly still is. Thats why she only has flings with men (And lots of them). My dad has been married sense I was 6 though, so she knows that it will never happen between them.

I don't see my dad that much because he lives in Florida and I live in Chicago. He makes up for being gone alot by giving me money whenever I want it.

He sent me a credit card for Christmas about 2 years ago and my mom was furious. She said that it didn't teach me responsibility and that it would make me count on them for the rest of my life so my dad told me I was only allowed to use it in emergencies and it went from being no limit to a five thousand dollar limit. Oh well. I used it whenever I wanted to anyways and my dad never complained.

My mom pulled in front of Secretary of State and I rushed out of the car. "Come on mom." I said impatiently as she was taking her time getting out of the car.

She finally got out and we went inside.

***

We were in there for only an hour. My mom complained that it would take forever but it didn't.

"I don't understand why they give you those nasty paper ones." She complained when we got in the car.

I just rolled my eyes and looked at the peice of paper I held in my hands and smiled to myself.

***

"This is Marshal. Im not here to answer my phone so leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can."

"Hey dad. It's Lexi. I just wanted to call and tell you I got my license today and I was just wondering if you sent out the check for my car. Call me back. Bye."

My dad was always busy so I never really got to talk to him on the phone. He always responds to my messages by e-mail. I don't really mind though. I'm used to it.

***

I was sitting at the kitchen table eating my salad when my mom walked in wearing this clubing outfit and talking on her phone.

"Where are you going?" I asked her when she got off her phone.

She looked at me like she had just noticed I was sitting there. "Out with some people from work." Then she turned to the sink to wash her hands.

I raised my eyebrows as if she could see me. She hated the people from work. She always complained that they were annoying and only ever talked about people behind their backs. I just shugged it off when she didn't turn back around and went back to eating.

"Don't stay up to late and don't go anywhere." She said to me, heading for the door.

"Wait! Can Emily stay the night?"