Born to Die: 1

Mary, we've exhausted all of our options." His wife was still trying to save their sons.

Otis Balefire and his wife spent all of their children's lives upon till this point trying to prevent the inevitable.

Maybe it was time to try saying goodbye, to try accepting the falling action. The mirror that reflected his guilt prevented him from facing that reality.

But the glass would break soon, he would know it when he hears the shards hit the floor as it will be followed by the pieces of his heart.

"This isn't just about trying to stop it, according to everyone we know with precognitive abilities it's impossible to prevent. But we still don't know how it happens and why no one can see beyond this moment in their futures, our future." Mary was reading two books at a time while googling.

"Maybe it'll be quick, like falling down, or in his sleep." Otis couldn't breathe as those words left his mouth, he turned and covered his mouth.

"There has to be a way, I can't face them knowing I didn't try to stop this to the very last second"

"We know the Shaman tricked us into signing his soul away, we don't know to whom or how that being will come to collect." Otis said sitting down next to his wife, her eyes had dark circles under them and she was frail from barely eating.

"What if....." Otis tried to say the words.

"You can't mean."

"I do."

"She said you were dead to her for this, said we killed our own son and to never speak to her." She recalled the harsh words as if she had heard them yesterday over her new born sons crying in the background.

"She's the most powerful witch alive, if anyone can tell us how to stop this..." Otis said holding out his phone hesitating to phone the woman he spent his early years resenting, the woman who now hates him in return.

"Listen to what you're saying, if she is that powerful, she would have told us how to stop this that day. She said it herself, that there is no way to undo what we did." Mary said closing the book in front of her.

"If you believed that, we'd be with them right now, cherishing our final moments." Otis said as he dialed the number.

"The number you have dialed is no longer in service."

Beep.

"She didn't pick up?"

"No longer using the number."

"Let's go, this is depressing."

Take me downstairs, let's bathe in the moon light and say a prayer for our souls

********

*Three days after that, at midnight*

The Baelfire family slept while the full moon, perched in glory among the somber stars, called to their hearts.

Repent, to save glory and to empower the 7th son to protect the 2nd.

Otis woke to the sound of his phone ringing, a sound he would normally ignore, only the ringtone was an unfamiliar whistle that cut through the silence of the night and felt like electricity moving through his heart.

"Hello."

"You were trying to reach me child."

"Mama."

"Do not waste my time, the spirits are against this merciful hand of assistance I am choosing to lend. Ask of me this once and I will give you my aid, while the others move through the spirit realmes."