Heating up: 2

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times, high school is a monster, with several heads, intent on destroying anything that slightly resembles self esteem or confidence.

Johven was on his way to his next class with a busy mind, full of spiralling thoughts and indignation for his fellow students.

This year is going to be just like all the others

"Stop overthinking." his best friend Miles, shook him and said.

"I'm not, I'm mocking our carefree existence." He made a show of swaying his hands gayly.

"The captain of the chess club, is anything, but carefree."

"I meant teens in general." Johven replied.

"Whatever, life isn't chess, Johven, you don't always have to calculate your next move."

Oh my God, there they are, strutting down our bland halls with their angelic presence.

They made his repressed existence feel less contained, he did.

He expected them, they were always appearing when he was heading to his next class, he made sure to take his time so that he would not miss them.

Luke, Brite and Blu Anuwat, three Thai transfers, they appeared on the scene back in 7th grade, I've been running around with a king size torch since, it was always burning.

Those were nicknames, Thai people mostly use nick names, because their names are comparatively long and hard to pronounce.

"Damn that Brite, his 6 ft 2 makes all others look underwhelming." Miles gushed. They stopped to talk to some girls, hot girls.

Brite was the obvious hunk, tall and handsome with an athletic body, he was Miles' crush.

Luke was the cute one, with angelic features, he was always smiling and making intense eye contact.

Then there was Blu, the only one that's said more than two words to Johven.

He cherished those two beautiful words.

"Excuse me" he said, I still flutter just thinking about it.

His nickname is Blu because he always appeared sad or sulky. He was Johven's crush, gorgeous and disengaged.

Joven was always attracted to indifference and perceived inner darkness, darkness that he felt a kin to and wanted to embrace through whomever was close enough.

"Chuck Bass just looked at you." Miles teased, he did look, for a second and Johven pretended to look somewhere else, he could never work up the courage to look back, at least not for more than half a sec.

"We should be getting to lit, before Mrs Henry gets there." Johven reminded a dazed Miles.

"Um, Mrs. Henry can goggle my undescended testi, I'm observing different kind of pros."

I was about to retort when someone grabbed me, I jumped and shrieked.

"Cole!"

"We need to talk!" He replied out of breath.

Cole and Johven did not go to the same school, everyone was looking at them, it took Johven awhile to realise it was because most of them didn't know he was a twin.

Even Miles was staring, he probably only saw him once before and they surely didn't exchange words.

"What's going on, did something happen to mom?" Johven's heart was beating fast, that was the only explanation he could think of, Cole's school was out of town, no way he'd come that far for nothing.