The Battle: 23

The forest was wet and mysterious, darker than the outside world and more alive.

"Hurry up, I legit just heard something growl." Tamera said.

"Hold on, he has a lot of locks."

"Hurry up." Tamera exclaimed.

Miles opened the door and she rushed in and closed it behind her.

"Whoa, did you see something out there?" Miles asked.

"No, just a bad feeling and weird noises."

"Okay.. it kinda stinks in here. Where does he keep his books and things?"

"I don't know, but I know they're here." Tamera said.

"Wow, okay." Miles replied as she walked passed him.

"Come with me." She said and he followed her to a room filled with books on the bed and a bookshelf.

"Wow, look at all these books, I don't we'd find them in any library." Miles said sitting on the bed.

Tamera walked around the room, she took up a picture of her uncle, he had a big smile on his face as he held up and even bigger fish.

She heard a noise outside and was startled, she dropped the photo, it broke and startled Miles.

"Tam, what happened?"

"I think we should leave, grab the books that look important and go." She said.

"Sure, that's why I brought my backpack any way." Miles said putting some of the books in his backpack.

"Hurry up." She said.

"Not real easy to do, don't no what's important, wait where are those gems you were talking about?"

"No idea, we should go now."

"I mean, those gems seem like the most important thing, we should try to find them before going." Miles said.

"Alright, I'll go look." She said then went to look in the living room after searching the drawers.

Miles was entering the living room when someone started to knock on the door.

They both held their breaths and stared at each other.

"Who could that be?" Miles whispered.

"I don't know, let's go out the back way." She replied running to the kitchen, they found a door to the back and rushed to open it as the soft knocks on the door intensified.

When they finally got the door open a huge dog was waiting for them with red eyes and a mouth full of sharp teeth.

"What the hell is that?" Miles exclaimed, Tamera quickly slammed the door and locked it with all of the locks.

"Oh my God, what the hell is going on?" Tamera asked backing up.

"I... I think that was a hell hound." Miles said.

"What?"

"No, I know that was a hell hound, there's some things I've neglected to tell you and it might literally be coming to bite us in the ass." Miles replied frantically.

"Wait, shut up. Listen.." she said.

"What?"

"The knocking stopped." She said when the door was kicked in and two hell hounds ran into the room.

"Oh no."

***********

We started out cold, so cold that we lived in our pockets, so cold that we hugged ourselves and lived inside our own world.