Chapter 19

Loriana POV

Today is the day of the funeral. I didn't know the boy but I still feel kind of sad. I mean, nobody deserves to die so young.

Rodney has been upset all day of course. He barely spoke to me and avoided conversation as much as possible. I tried to help him tie his tie but he just brushed me off. I'm not taking anything to heart because he has no reason to be in a good mood. He's burying his brother today.

The funeral is very different. Everyone is wearing white and apparently when they lower the casket in the ground, his homeboys are all gonna light a blunt. I've never heard of that before so this should be very interesting.

...

The church is full of Chris's family and friends. I found out his real name once I entered the church and there was a guest book. There was a lady, crying loudly and people surrounding her do I'm guessing that's Chris's mother.

"Let's sit right here." Rodney said lowly, leading me to a bench up front. He let me go in first then sat next to me. He casually shook hands with some guys around us then turned forward.

He looked really tense and he was avoiding looking at the casket as much as possible. I took his hand into mine and he gave my hand a light squeeze.

"I just don't understand why his mom is here or any of his family is here. They ain't give a damn about him but once he's dead, they want to act up. Then people have the audacity to sympathize with the woman. Little do they know." He said. I can tell he was over all the fake shit.

Everyone soon started to find their seats and the ceremony started. The pastor seemed very passionate but he was getting really annoying. He was over here preaching about violence in the streets and how our young men are killing each other. All the hood niggas kept coughing and sucking their teeth which made me laugh which made Rodney squeeze my thigh.

"I would like to now call up a close friend of Christopher's, Rodney Wright, to say a few words." I looked at Rodney but couldn't see any emotion in his eyes since he slipped on a pair of sunglasses mid way through the funeral.

Rodney got up and walked up to the podium. He cleared his through then took a deep breath, preparing himself to speak.

"I'm not one to express my emotions in front of people who I don't know so I'm not going to. All I know is that Lil C was a good kid and was like a brother to me. He's has it rough all his life and he didn't deserve the way he was treated by people who were suppose to be his family. I was his family, my mom was his mother. That's brings me now to the question, why is his family sitting up in this church trying to deceive God and the people in here? No seriously, why are you here. You definitely didn't care about Chris when he was alive so why do you care now? His own mother wouldn't even open her mouth to have a conversation with her son and she doesn't even have a legit reason. I bet you regret now. But it's ok because God knows people's true intent and emotions. He's the only one that can really judge you and I hope you carry this guilt with you for the rest of your days." He said then stepped off the podium. It was dead silent in the church.

Rodney sat back down and I looked at him. He turned his head towards me then leaned in, kissing my forehead. He's pissed beyond belief and it was noticeable.

Whispers started around the church and it sounded like as if Chris's mom started crying louder. Now it's just to much and she should stop. She knows that Rodney just spoke the truth.

...

I held onto Rodney's hand tightly as they lowered the casket into the ground. This is really sad and I'm trying not to cry. I've never attended something like this and I hope I never have to anytime soon. I looked at Rodney as he smoked on the blunt in his hand. His friends were lined up next to him and they were smoking too. It looked like a Kodak moment.