Chapter Four, 2/2: Law of Attraction

– Zach –

Luke is casually leaning against the wall outside his classroom when I bump into him on my way back. It seems like he is waiting for someone, except I'm aware that just like me, he's a transfer student who barely knows anyone. That narrows down the potential people by a lot, or to only one, actually.

          I should say hi, that's what ordinary people do, right?

          "Dude, Zach." Luke calls out first instead. I've never been prompt with greetings. "Do you see her?"

          Of course.

          "Nope." I shrug. I watch as he bites his lip nervously, pretending to look cool and natural by folding his arms, except it only made him look more tensed.

          I've long forgotten how it is like to experience that kind of anxiety, the kind that gets my tongue-tied and my heart beat twice as fast. The quiet excitement from just seeing that one girl, the goofy smile on my face whenever I receive her text, those feelings are dead to me now. It's kind of amusing to see someone else experience it so obviously, though.

          "I swear, she walks down this hallway every time at this hour." Luke says, tapping his foot impatiently. "Could it be that she saw me, and took a detour instead? Damn, that's exactly what it is, isn't it?"

          "Calm down." I say, a response that I'm used to giving since most people tend to overreact.

          Luke opens his mouth to blurt further, only to be interrupted by a loud shriek just a stone's throw away. We both turn towards the direction of the voice, and stare. I'm not sure about Luke, but I'm staring because it's the only natural reaction I can think to make.

          "Crap, I think they saw us!" a girl, no, Abby, yelps as her cheeks begin to turn a shade redder. I whip my head around to look for the person behind me, but to my surprise, there's no one.

          "...us?" Luke mumbles, clearly bewildered as he subtly points a finger to himself.

          Luke and I glance at each other, not saying another word. Confusion becomes an understatement when another girl pops up just inches behind her, wearing a look that screams terror.

          I swear to God, she's everywhere.

"Abort mission!" Abby squeals, to no one in particular. Luke and I watch in silence as she grabs onto her loosely strapped bag and makes a run for it. From that sight alone, I can tell she probably isn't use to exercise.

          Several students nearby begin to curiously spectate as they exchange questions, only to receive blank faces as replies. I don't blame them. Even I don't know what's going on, and I'd actually like to know, for once.

          Terra appears to be frozen on the spot, her face burning like the sun as she bites back what I can only assume is a scream. She stares at us with a pair of wide green eyes as her shoulders slouch timidly, as if she had been caught red handed for committing a crime.

          Is something supposed to happen right now?

          "Abort mission!" she bursts suddenly, behaving the same exact way as Abby just seconds ago. She clutches onto her bag pack and sprints off without further hesitation, and the hallway turns quiet.

          I don't even know anymore.

          "What just–" Luke utters.

          "Nope." I say, smacking my lips. I'm aware that probably isn't the correct reply, but it doesn't matter.