Chapter Forty-Four: Serendipity

A/N: Having the author's note at the beginning is probably a lot more fitting :P I'm just gonna share this amazing gif of the galaxy as our visual this time.

Thank you all for reading and see you in the next chapter!

imperfectdreamer

– Terra –

Operation Fluff ends up in failure.

          Perhaps I should have taken into account the fact that Zach hasn't stomached anything greasy and fatty in a while. Actually, I've never even seen him eat anything of that kind either before the incident. His choice of food was always as dull as food can ever get, it was almost as if he was eating only to survive.

          That is probably why I wanted to feed him, desperately too, but all that came into shambles when we discovered the infamous burger joint was relocated to somewhere that is beyond our reach by foot. Well, I suppose I haven't visited this place in a while and should've done some double-checking in advance. We ended up eating at a Chinese restaurant next door, and I made him stuff himself with one too many wantons, and even then, I had a feeling he wasn't going to gain even a quarter of a pound.

          Damn these men with metabolism great enough to power a rocket flying off to Mars. Meanwhile, I can't seem to digest that stupid organic crouton I've swallowed two days ago in that Caesar salad Abby made me eat.

          We could've head back to our respective places after that, but habitually, we don't, and that makes me kind of glad.

          Shamelessly, I invited myself to his place, using the excuse that he could use 'some help cleaning up', which is partially true. He hasn't had much energy to tidy up his place, and I can only assume that thin layer of dust that must have collected on the furniture needs to be cleaned ASAP. Me being the very helpful person I am simply decided to lend a hand, no biggie.

          I'll keep telling myself that.

          On our way to his unit, we pass by a beefy man with a scented cigar clipped between his two fingers. It didn't take me long at all to recognize him as the same man who lives in the apartment next to Zach's, the one I mistook for his. I wave gracelessly at him as the two greet each other, praying that he wouldn't mention that incident.

          "Hey Sweetheart," the man speaks with his gravelly voice, "Good to see you back here again."

          "Heh." I squeak like an awkward panda.

          "I like her." He turns to Zach with a firm nod of approval.

          Zach doesn't reply with words. I catch a brisk glimpse of him giving the man a kind of telepathic look before we scurry off to his unit. The muscly man responds with a hearty laugh like he understood perfectly, leaving me marginally curious when he shuts the door.