Chapter Seven: Speak of the Devil

– Zach –

– Zach –

I wake up to a series of spam from this...'GSG group chat' that Daniel had added me into last night. I don't even want to know how he got my number.

Rubbing my tired eyes, I briskly scroll through the spam and try to pick out the few important messages that I am meant to read. I squint as I try to make out the tiny words on the screen.

Dear Glendiators...

I pause. Who the heck came up with that?

...thank u for attending our very first club meeting. Our next gathering will be on Thurs, same location. Don't forget to keep ur GSG badge visible at all times, u won't know who is looking out for us!

I put my phone away and attempt to continue snoozing. Wednesday is the only day I can sleep in considering there are no classes in the morning. Besides, I'll just save time by grabbing a bagel from that bakery on the way and some espresso to make sure I won't doze off in Mr. Lee's class again.

Then, my phone starts ringing.

Without looking at the caller, I swipe right and flop against my pillow.

"Hello?" I drone.

"Why didn't you reply me?" A frantic voice speaks, prompting me to check the number.

"Um..." I trail off, barely recognizing the stranger on the other side.

"It's an emergency, damn it." She hisses frantically. "And I don't want to complain to Daniel about not having a responsive partner, literally."

Terra.

"I need you here, right now, it's an emergency." She repeats. "Wait, are you still in bed?"

"Yes."

"Noooo, you have to wake up." she drones and I can feel her stress levels heightening. "I'll be at the library. Okay bye."

She hangs up and I am once again, clueless. I like how she assumes I'm onboard with the idea without waiting to hear what I have to say. I like even more how I am going to sacrifice my sleep because I'm going to listen to her.

At least my sarcasm isn't compromised.

I guess it is safe to conclude that people tend to make weird choices when the mind is still foggy.

I peel myself off the comfy sheets and force myself into the shower, momentarily forgetting about the freezing water. Of course, the heaters are off in the morning.

Good job, Zach.

I wash up and slip on a pair of jeans and a grey shirt, not bothering to check if it is clean. I rub my eyes and take a quick look around the room. It is just as messy as a month ago when I told myself I'd clean it. I probably should.