Chapter Nineteen: Hostility in Disguise

– Zach –

– Zach –

"Alright, see you guys at the meeting tomorrow. Don't forget, we're counting on the two of you!" Daphne waves goodbye and Will follows her like glue.

The discussion should've ended a while ago, but divided opinions make that almost impossible. I scratch the back of my head, about to depart as well until James strikes a new conversation, making me lag behind.

"So you know Terra, huh?" he begins informally, wearing an unreadable expression. To deliberately bring her up this way, something must be off.

"Yeah." I give a straight answer.

"It caught me by surprise you know, the way she came marching into our class that day with so much fury." He says with a smile, referring to that text message incident that even I've forgotten about. "You must have done something real bad to piss her off like that."

"Maybe." I say, refusing to go into details.

"How is she?" He asks, but I can't detect an ounce of genuine care from his speech. Then again, I could be unconsciously bias.

"Why don't you ask her yourself?" I raise a brow.

"Well, I suppose I could, but what's wrong with asking you?" he easily flings a question back and I am tempted to leave.

"What's wrong with you asking her?" I say, heightening the tension that has begun to build since Terra was mentioned.

"I'm sure you know, don't you?" He asks, unfazed.

"What do I know?" I deflect.

"I take it that Terra hasn't told you then?" he continues, maintaining his friendliness. I feel my eye twitch. That toothy bright grin on his face is getting a little irritating.

"What are you talking about?" I ask him back, aware of the chain of questions we've been throwing at each other. This is easily one of the most passive-aggressive conversations I have ever had and I know I could've ended it, but I'm too stubborn for that.

He folds his arms, taking a subconscious defensive stance as his jaw tightens. It is the first time I see him behave outside of his apparent pleasant character.

"Terra and I dated." He said finally, which isn't new information to my ears. "Well, it was only for a short while though, we never did reach our anniversary, although we were close. I don't know what she thinks of me now, I'd like to think we parted on good terms."

"Did you?" I frown.

"Not as good as I'd prefer it." He sighs, and his lips quickly stretch into a seemingly forceful smile. "There were lots of tears, but I assume that is expected at break ups. I do feel regret for leaving her."