Chapter Twenty-Nine: Bittersweet

– Terra –

– Terra –

Abby never came home last night. My immediate assumption probably isn't something she would want to hear, so I decide to wait for her to return with a reasonable explanation, assuming if she even returns at all.

It's the first day of summer break, at least it is for me, and it's rather unusual for it to fall on a Thursday but I'm really not complaining. Unexpectedly, Kelly and Kacey are 'summoning' me to help them out with a GSG celebration. Apparently, it is an unspoken routine to throw a mini party at the end of each semester as a way to congratulate all members for making it through.

Smiling, I hop out of my apartment while bobbing my head to a self-generated tune. I'm actually really looking forward to it.

My stomach does a weird flip on its own and I feel my cheeks flush. I'm gonna see Zach again, and the memory of that bold move I did yesterday is still fresh on my mind. I want to strangle myself, but at the same time, I don't regret doing it, or do I? I don't even know, considering that was all it took to keep myself wide awake last night, overthinking an innocent gesture, again.

I bury my face into my hands and release a shriek.

I gave Zach a kiss, on the cheek.

God, why did I even do that?

I haven't heard from Zach ever since. I wonder if he feels as jittery as me, or if he isn't the slightest bit bothered at all? Why am I even jittery in the first place?

Shaking my head, I dismiss the thoughts as I carefully navigate my way to Kelly and Kacey's place. It's amazing how I'm still counting on Google Maps to take me there.

As planned, I arrive at their suburban house just being over five minutes late. This is the first time I've visited a friend's place from Glenworth, excluding the time I self-invited to Zach's place of course. Unlike most of us, Kelly and Kacey are living with their parents at a cozy neighborhood. It must be nice to not worry about rental.

I knock on the wooden door gently, breathing in the cool air while admiring the flowers at their front porch. Everything resembles the typical white picket fenced lifestyle that I would so often see in an American family movie. The very sight of this makes my heart ache dully. I'm starting to miss home again.

I hear a muffled noise from inside the house followed by the sound of the front door being unlocked. The door swings open with a slight creak and Kelly stands in front of me with her hair neatly braided, her left cheek smeared with some pink frosting.

"Hey Terra." She greets. "You're just on time."

"Hello." I return the greeting, suddenly feeling out of place. The twins requested for my help to prepare for the celebration, but they never did tell me specifically what they need help with.