Chapter Thirty-Eight: Before the Storm

– Zach –

– Zach –

To express his gratitude, Luke had sent me half a dozen of beer two days after he mended things with Abby. They didn't just mend things, they are officially dating now, and that makes me sort of glad, I guess, but not enough for me to look forward to waking up the next day.

It has only been two weeks since summer break, and every day is starting to lose its color. Despite working for eight hours, hitting the gym for one after that and spending the night busying myself with a drawing pencil, despite being knackered to the core by the time the clock strikes midnight, sleep never comes easy.

Today isn't any different, either. The eye-bags beneath my eyes are more visible than before, and every minute I spend standing feels like an hour. I'm in terrible shape again, and I haven't a clue as to how to improve this, let alone fixing it.

Just sleep, they said, that's the solution. How sweet would it be if it is truly that simple?

I sit by the corner in the staff room on my one hour break, barely working up the appetite to join the others for lunch. I rub my tired eyes, as my head starts spinning, almost dozing off until I am rudely awaken by the sound of my phone beeping. I look at the unknown number on the screen, hesitating to answer, but when I finally do, I realize it isn't unknown after all.

I place my phone by my ear, my throat beginning to run dry.

"Hello, is this Zachary Curtis?" a female voice asks, carrying a tone that resembles a professional administrator.

"That would be me." I reply, rubbing my sore neck.

"Ah, alright. My name is Sasha, calling on behalf of Dr. Richard."

Right.

"It seems that your last checkup with him was over six months ago, and we would like to ask if you would want to arrange your next checkup as soon as possible."

After hearing her finish her sentence, I'm aware now where this is going.

"I'm working until six. I'm not sure if that's possible." I answer, unsure of whether to accept her offer.

"I see. Hang on for just a moment, please." She says, and the line is silent apart from the faint background noise I can hear from the other side.

When she comes back, she'll probably just inform me of the available times and to give them a call whenever I'm free. I've been through this before, except the last time I expected them to never call again. I didn't expect them to be this persistent towards their patients, especially since I'm not in a critical state, at least I don't think I am.

I thought this was all over.

"Hi, Mr. Curtis, I've just gotten information from Dr. Richard that he will be available tonight at eight, but just tonight. Would you like to arrange a meeting with him then?" she asks politely.