Chapter Thirty-Six: Luke

– Zach –

– Zach –

I've learned my lesson: do not give in to the booze, especially when doing the morning shift.

After enduring a stubborn headache and the occasional double-vision, I can only imagine how flattering I must look like by the time I am dismissed.

I need sleep. I need sleep bad.

The only problem with sleeping is I know I won't be getting any until midnight, reason being I'm meeting Luke, and I shouldn't be giving an excuse to bail when this is already long overdue.

Ever since the semester break started, Luke and I haven't exchanged a word. He hasn't spammed me with disturbing photos from the internet or told me about another one of his bewildering experience exploring Google street view. If this isn't worrying, then I don't know what is.

Leaving the apartment at six o'clock sharp, I spend the entire journey crafting a mental mind map as to the various ways I can approach the delicate topic. I expected to have more time, but at a quarter pass six, I realize we are both surprisingly punctual for our meet up, which is a problem. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say yet.

"What's up?" Luke greets naturally, and I greet back. I can't identify anything off-character about him so far, and I'm starting to wonder why I initiated this at all.

"Uh, nothing." I shrug, sincerely meaning it.

"Really?" he makes a face. "When I woke up this morning reading your text saying that you wanna hang out, I was convinced you got hacked or something. The Zach I know never invites anyone to hang."

He's still right about that.

"So, what sort of special plan do you have up your sleeves?" he asks, rubbing his hands together in anticipation.

"Nothing." I answer.

"Really?" he repeats.

"Yeah." I say.

We stand in silence for three seconds and Luke fakes a punch.

"You invite me out and you don't even know why?" he asks in disbelief.

"Well, if you want to put it that way..." I mutter. Why couldn't Terra do this herself?

"Ah, fine, time to let the spontaneous instincts kick in." he says. "Let's go for a drink."

"A drink?" I echo, feeling myself turn sick from just the thought of alcohol.

"Unless you have a better idea." Luke says presumptuously.

"...I don't." I utter, instantly regretting it.

"Alright, to the tavern!" he announces, getting pumped.

Maybe I should just build a tent outside the bar and consider moving into it for the entire season.

We go to the nearest one across the street. Fortunately, it isn't at the one where I work in. Unfortunately, it's the one right beside it. I'm going to spend the next Sunday scouting for potential places to visit the next time, although I doubt there will ever be a next time.