Chapter Thirty-Nine: His Apology

– Terra –

– Terra –

The apartment is peaceful, too peaceful.

Wearing my baggy pajamas, I crawl out of bed and suspiciously snoop around the place, finding zero signs of Abby. I walk towards the dining table and spot a bowl of fresh fruits along with a handwritten note.

I'll be spending the weekend with Luke. To make up for ditching you, here are some fruits! I also bought you the biggest bananas, if you know what I'm saying *wink*

– Abby

I find myself laughing at her message, then I put it away and help myself to one of 'the biggest bananas', chuckling when I take my first bite. This is wrong on so many levels, but it makes me smile.

After Abby and Luke got together that night, she had decided to pull out from the initial beach getaway, saying that there is no need for that anymore. With that said, the trip has ever since been cancelled, and now she'll be having an even more memorable time with her boyfriend.

It's still feels foreign to refer to Luke as her boyfriend like that, but it's a good kind of foreign, the kind that I can't wait to get used to.

I sit by the kitchen counter, hearing nothing but the sound of my own mouth chewing. Okay, this is boring.

Restlessly, I start brainstorming for ideas to spend the weekend without her. Normally we'd go shopping or café hunting, looking for the best coffee in the city, but none of that would be fun alone. It is now when I realize that all the excitement in my life so far has been due to the involvement of Abby.

That kind of makes me sound like a sad dependent person.

Determined to prove myself wrong, I hop into the shower and get changed into the most summery outfit I can find. That part was a lie, a pair of black shorts and a grey top is definitely not summer.

I dry my hair with a towel and stand by the windows in my room, glancing at the busy roads. What do I usually do when Abby isn't around?

My phone starts vibrating inside my pocket and I pull it out instinctively, answering the call.

"Hello?" I speak.

"Heya Terra, did you get my note?" Abby greets, sounding more chirpy than usual.

"Sure did." I say. "And thanks for the gift."

"I'm sure you enjoyed the bananas." She snickers.

"Yes, yes I did." I laugh dryly.

"Good, but anyway, that's not why I'm calling." She says, changing her tone. "I heard from Luke this morning that Zach isn't doing so well."

"Eh?" I utter, cocking my head to one side.

"Luke wanted to pay him a surprise visit at the bar he was working in yesterday, but the manager mentioned that he's off working temporarily because he isn't well. He didn't elaborate much though, and because Luke had to prepare for our trip this weekend, he didn't manage to drop by after all." Abby says and I can hear Luke's voice faintly in the background.