Chapter Thirty-Two: Sunday Mornings

– Zach –

– Zach –

I woke up at nine in the morning out of habit. It's a Sunday, my day off, and there is nothing more frustrating than waking up way too early on the only day I'm allowed to sleep in.

I make myself a cup of coffee, longing for the extra boost so I can do...nothing.

For the first time in a very long time, I actually have nothing to do. I can't help but feel strange. I've been having this nagging feeling since last night that I'm forgetting something, but as usual, I can't remember what.

The atmosphere is quiet, but it doesn't feel lonely. I've been longing for some personal space and most importantly, some time away from chatty people with pointy smiles. With that said, I really don't mind doing nothing today. Maybe I can decide to get a little creative and start practicing some drawings again–

"ZACH!"

Never mind.

"ZACH, I KNOW YOU'RE IN THERE, PLEASE OPEN UP OR I'LL BREAK THIS DOOR DOWN!" I hear a familiar voice screaming from outside, banging roughly on the door and causing it to swing open by force.

I haven't fixed the lock yet.

I put the glass down and stare at the tiny figure of a person walking awkwardly into the room, carrying a large box in her arms.

So that's what I forgot.

"Oops." She mutters apologetically, referring to the even more broken door. Maybe it's a good thing that I didn't get it fixed yet.

"Good morning." I greet monotonously and Terra takes two small steps forward before setting the oversized box down.

"I'm sorry." She mumbles, consciously trying to tidy her messy hair. Judging by her choice of clothing, an oversized T-shirt with a pair of shorts, she probably just got out of bed.

"It's okay, now you and Abby can split the cost." I shrug, referring to the broken knob, then I jump straight to the point. "So what do you need?"

"Um, it's for the party tonight." She says, beginning to get frantic again. "Kelly and Kacey asked me to help make a party banner but I'm terrible at art, so I sort of agreed with the assumption that you could help me with it, and by help, I really mean...you do it."

"Right." I utter.

"It's tonight, and I know it's really short noticed, but I got here as fast as I could and I'm just praying that you don't have any plans today and you're able to help." She clasps her hands together pleadingly.

"Can I say no?" I ask.

"How dare you turn this down?" She snarls, giving me a dirty look.