Chapter 1

~Sakura~
I sat in the sandbox, shoveling sand into a bucket to add to the growing sandcastle. My best friend, Sasuke Uchiha, was currently digging a moat around it's perimeter. We were playing in his backyard, laughing and trying to beat the record of our biggest castle.

It's been like this for as long as I can remember. Our moms were pregnant at the same time, best friends, and pushed us into being best friends, which was really a good thing. We were both five, Sasuke being a few months older than me, which he hangs over my head all the time, it's annoying.

We spend all our time together, after all our houses sit right next to each others. I know everything there is to know about Sasuke and he knows everything there is to know about me. We have no secrets; we tell each other everything.

"I'm going to go get the water ok?" I ask him.

"Okay, hurry back." He says, smiling up at me. I smile back, taking a bucket and skipping over to the hose, humming. I turned the handle and then picked up the end of the hose, filling the bucket to the brim. I left the hose on as I delicately walked back to the sandbox, trying not to spill but some water escaping over the edge.

As I got closer to the sandbox I got a better Idea to use the water for something other than the moat. I silently walked up behind Sasuke and prayed that he wouldn't hear me.

"Hey sak-" Before he could finish I threw the bucket of water onto him. His back straightened as he yelled in surprise at the sudden coldness. He turned on me, "What was that for Sakura!?" He yelled/whined, but I was too busy giggling like mad.

"Sakura" He growled. I looked into his onyx eyes and saw that he was angry. 'uh oh' he started running towards me. I screamed and took off, still giggling though because his hair was plastered to his face and his clothes were drenched.

We dashed around the backyard, him trying to catch me and me running for my life. He tackled me to the ground and pinned me down. He started ruffling my hair; just because he knew I hated it.

"Sasuke!" I screamed, pushing at his hands, "That's my hair!" He was laughing at my anguish.

I finally managed to push him off me and get away. Sasuke ran to the still running hose and sprayed me. I scream/laughed, putting up my hands trying to block the cold spray. I ran to the other hose he had and turned it on, firing my own spray at him. Soon it was an all out water war, the sand castle lay completely forgotten.

We were laughing and in a matter of minutes were drenched from head to toe. Someone cleared their throat at the doorway and we both turned to look. It was Mrs. Uchiha, or as I call her, Mikoto. Here hands were on her hips and she was tapping her foot, but she had a wide grin on her face.

"And what do you two think you're doing?" She asked us. Sasuke and I looked at each other before replying.

"nuthin." we said with mischievous grins and hiding the hoses behind out backs, giggling as we did so.

Mikoto raised her eyebrow, "Mmmhmmm?" She inquired.

"We were just having some fun mom." Sasuke smiled at her.

Mikoto laughed, "Okay well it's time to turn the hoses off, you're making the grass soggy. I'll go grab some towels."

"Okay," We replied and then she disappeared back into the house. Sasuke sprayed me one last time, earning a laugh from me, before we both turned them off. We sloshed through the grass before we were standing side by side. We looked at the unfinished sand castle.

"Try again tomorrow?" I asked, smiling at him. He shrugged, smiling back.

"Sounds good to me."

We looked at each other and then at the the castle. We both ran to it and jumped on it, crushing it till it was no more. The sand clung to our wet calves as we laughed, stomping on the sand and flattening it to what it was before we started building.

Mikoto came back with the towels and we each took one, patting ourselves dry.

"Hurry quickly. Mebuki will be here soon, we are taking you school shopping." She said.

Sasuke looked at me excitedly and I returned the gaze. We started school in exactly three days and the idea of it thrilled us. We were eager to learn, we wanted to do what his big brother Itachi did.

"Sakura, I'll tell your mom to bring a pair of clothes over."

"Oh no need, I have an extra in Sasuke's room." I replied smiling and she chuckled.

"Of course you do."

"Race ya to my room!" Sasuke challenged.

"You're so on!" I shouted and then we sprinted to his room, he won of course, as he is a lot more athletic than I am.

I took out a pair of clothes I kept in one of Sasuke's drawers and went into the bathroom to change. I peeled off my wet clothes and hung them on a rack to dry to pick them up later. I slithered into jeans that had light purple polka dots on them and a white blouse with pink shoes. I combed my fingers through my long, waist length pink hair before entering and joining Sasuke.

He was wearing simple black jeans with a navy blue shirt that had white print on it. His hair was still wet, and hang low.

"Would you mind getting the back for me?" I asked him, referring to my hair.

"Sure thing." He stepped closer and I turned around around. He raked his fingers through the back of my hair, being careful not to pull it. I liked the feeling of him playing with my hair, or anyone playing with my hair for that matter. The feeling was soothing.

After he finished he asked me to return the favor so I raked my own fingers through his hair and styled it the way he liked it.

"I don't know why you insist on having this haircut, it looks like a duck butt." I giggled.

"Hey that's not nice." He whined, mocked hurt. I giggled again.

"I didn't say it didn't suit you though." I pointed out.

He turned around and ruffled my hair again, "You're such a tease." He said.

"Sasuke." I whined, running my fingers through my hair again.

"Sasuke, Sakura, It's time to go!" Mikoto called and we rushed downstairs, hopping in the car before they could say anything else. We bounced in excitement in the back seat as we shouted for our moms to hurry up.

Yep, just a normal day with my best friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~