Chapter 26

I sat in my science class bored out of my mind. My teacher drawled on and I wasn't really paying attention. To make things worse, Sasuke was right next to me which made it next to impossible to concentrate on anything.

The teacher started wandering around the room while delivering instructions. He started passing out packets and I drummed my pencil on the desk absently.  A packet was plopped in front of me and I lazily picked it up. I thumbed through it, glancing over the instructions, supplies list and the assignments we were meant to do. I slid it over to Sasuke absently and he did the same.

"I'll get the supplies," I say but before I could stand up Sasuke was already out of his seat. "Or. . . not."

Instead I plugged in the microscope and made sure it was working correctly.  I adjusted it accordingly and made sure we had the right size of scope to look at the samples. 

Sasuke sat back down, putting the samples in between us. I picked one up and slid it under the scope. I told Sasuke what I evaluated about it and slid it over for him to see as I started writing down my answers onto the worksheet. Sasuke confirmed what I said and did the same. We worked in silence, neither one of us really speaking. 

The teacher walked around, checking on every students progress, but when he got to us he tapped on our desk.

"Last time I checked this was a partner assignment. You aren't sitting in pairs for no reason. You are to discuss and work together, bounce ideas off of each other and come to a conclusion that you both agree with. I grade on teamwork, the more I see you not working together, the more points I dock. Please keep that in mind as you both continue working." 

He walked away and it was silent between us for a few more minutes. I really didn't want to talk to him and I knew he really didn't want to talk to me. Well. . . lies, I did want to talk to him, I just didn't know what to say. 

"Sakura." 

I glanced at Sasuke, surprised, but covered it quickly. "Yes?"

"What was that all about Saturday?" He asks. 

"What do you mean?" I ask absently, looking back to my paper and writing down an answer. 

It was silent for a moment so I sighed, looking back at him. Of course I knew what he meant. 

"It was nothing." I turn back to writing but only to have the pen stolen out of my hand. 

"That wasn't just nothing, Sakura." It gave me a jolt when he said my name. 

"Honestly Sasuke, It was just something to let off some steam. Don't worry about it." 

"Hm. Being a felon is a funny way to blow off steam." 

"You're only a felon if you get caught and have a record. Anyway, that is why the green algae has a more distinct color than the blue algae. . . " I change topics quickly as the teacher walked by and waited till he was talking to another table to continue. No way was I letting my grade suffer. "It's best if you just forget what you saw. It was honestly nothing. Now, May I please have my pen back?" 

"It's just so odd, so different. It's not something you would do. Not the Sakura I know" He says bluntly, tapping my pen against the desk. Honestly, why does he care?

"Well I'm not the Sakura you once knew." I snapped, fighting to keep my voice down. "You don't know me Sasuke, not anymore-" 

"And who's fault is that?" He hissed in a whisper, the quiet anger floating on his words. 

I pursed my lips. I couldn't be mad at him, it was all my fault and I knew that. I was willing to carry that burden, but I just didn't know that it would hurt this much. I was about to reply but then the door opened.