Chapter 30

It  took an enormous amount of effort to open my eyes. I felt hot and sticky and uncomfortable. 

My vision was blurry and it took me a few moments of blinking to focus it. When it did, I was met by a concerned Hinata. 

I started to sit up but I felt so heavy and so weak. 

"Lay down S-sakura," she said, pushing me back down. 

It took me a moment to register where I was and what was happening. I was in my bed, a hot cloth over my head and my covers packed heavily on top of me. 

"What happened?" I asked and was surprised by my own voice. It came out raspy and broken and I feel like I've been hit by a truck. 

"You were in a sketchy alley, on your knees, in the pouring rain getting soaked to the bone when Sasuke found you," Ino walked into the room. She had a small bowl in her hands; she wet a towel and replaced the warm cloth with a cold one. "He called us over because you passed out, you lips were blue, you were shivering and you had a high fever when we got here." 

"I'm just g-glad you are awake." 

"Is everyone else here?" I ask, feeling my heart sink as I really didn't want them all to know. 

"No, it's just Hinata and I, Naruto came when he heard and Sasuke was here to begin with. We thought it best to give you breathing room and get your illness under control," Ino explained.

I opened my mouth to respond but instead got a pinching sensation in my stomach. I threw off the covers along with the towel and bolted into the hallway. I pushed past Sasuke and Naruto and dove into the bathroom, doubling over the toilet and puking whatever I ate today. 

I felt someone pull my hair back and out of my face as I coughed out the bile.

"T-thanks," I groaned. I wiped my mouth and flushed the toilet. I put a hand to my head as it pounded and eased myself to rest with my back against the tub. I pulled my knees to chest and gently lowered my head between my knees to try and help the pounding. I felt hands on my knees and slowly looked up. Naruto smiled softly and rubbed his thumps along my knee caps. 

"We just got off the phone with Temari. She didn't sound too pleased but she's worried about you and asked if we would stay with you until she gets back," he says. 

"You really don't-" 

"In which we don't mind doing and were going to anyway," he cuts me off. 

I only nodded my head, too tired and sick to argue. 

There was a slight pause before Ino spoke.

"Sakura, what were you doing in that alley? What happened?" 

I didn't speak and chose not to look at her. It was all too much to explain and I didn't have the energy. 

"Would it have something to do with this?" 

I looked up to Sasuke who was holding the rock I had chucked out the window, the bolded threat reading clearly. I only looked away. 

"Like I s-said, that was just a prank," I murmured halfheartedly. 

"Finding you half-dead in an alley way isn't a prank Sakura," his scowl deepened, "a threat isn't a prank. What happened. In the alley." His tone was cut and cold, it scared me and the others stayed silent, avoiding eye contact with him and me. 

"I don't have the energy to talk about this," I say softly, shrinking back against his gaze. 

"Don't have energy for this? or enough energy to lie."