3 - The Beauty of Cameras

Chapter 3 - The beauty of cameras

My eyes shot open as I felt the bed lurch and my body bounce.

"I'll fucking kill you!"

"Calm down man!"

"Don't tell me to calm down, you're dead!"

Levi was jumping at Brett as Brett darted around him. It was actually pretty amusing because Levi is only about 5'10" and Brett is at least six feet tall.

Levi didn't stand a chance.

"What's going on?" I said groggily, climbing off the bed.

"I should be asking you that!" Levi shouted, throwing his arms up.

"Chill out Levi." I muttered.

Levi dropped his tense arms and approached me. "What did he do to you?"

His voice was stern and I let out a laugh. "Wouldn't you like to know." I teased and winked.

"Not funny Whitney." It's not often Levi uses my full name. If he does, he's probably pissed.

"Okay Levi, calm down. Nothing happened."

"With the way he is? I find that hard to believe." Levi scoffed.

I wonder how he is. Is he a man whore like Levi? I'm sure he is, look at him. Green eyes with those little splashes of gold. Those are eyes that I'm sure all the girls fall for.

"If anyone gets to be mad here, it's me." I said, changing the subject to how he never told me about Brett.

"I know I should've told you but I didn't want you freaking out."

"Excuse me? And having a strange man come home wouldn't freak me out?"

Levi followed behind me as I went down the hall, arguing the whole way. I turned into the bathroom and slammed the door in his face.

He can be such a dick.

Feeling the hot water wash over me felt so refreshing. Today might actually be the most okay I've felt since coming home.

The scent of cherry shampoo was welcoming and I gave myself a small hug of reassurance on life.

I wrapped my towel around me and stared in the mirror.

My skin was a bit brighter than it was at Maria's. It had a subtle glow for the first time in a long time. I never really took time to notice my hair, but it had grown quite a few inches over the past few years. My eyes seemed to be a clearer blue, and my lips weren't as chapped as they used to be, even though I still chew them in my sleep when the nightmares start up.

I opened the bathroom door and started down the hall. Just as I was turning into my room, Brett was coming up the stairs.

"Oh, hey, sorry." He averted his gaze to the ceiling, stuffing his hands into his pockets.

I guess standing in a towel in front of a stranger didn't really bother me. I never had much privacy in my foster homes. There were always a ton of kids running around.

"It's okay." I assured him but he still seemed uncomfortable. "Where's Levi?"

"Downstairs with some girl, which is exactly why I'm up here."