44 - The truth comes out

Chapter 44 - The truth comes out

I stood in the doorway, staring at the professional looking man in front of me who was telling me how beautiful I've become. He was wearing a nice suit and had neatly combed hair but I could tell by his hollowed out eyes and sunken mouth that he was still using.

"Can I come in sweetheart?"

"Don't call me that." I moved out of the way and let him through.

Levi walked in the room as if on cue and stopped dead in his tracks.

"Dad?"

"Son!" Patrick wrapped Levi in a tight embrace. "It's been quite some time."

"Only a year dad." Levi said sourly, as if it wasn't long enough.

"Levi, tell your sister here to lighten up a little." He gestured towards me and Levi sent me an apologetic look, but I wasn't dealing with it.

"Lighten up?" I said bitterly. "Maybe you should've lightened up when I was a kid." I spit.

"Please Whitney, the past is the past. Leave it be." He instructed so confidently as if it was no big deal. As if I was just a dog that could be made to listen his every command.

"Of course it's easy for you to say that. The past isn't hard to forget when you're tweaking out 24/7." I snapped.

"Now you listen to me little girl-" Patrick was cut off and Brett's fist made a loud crack as it connected with his face.

He came out of no where like a raging bull and laid him flat out. Patrick looked like he was in a daze as Brett hovered over him.

"You deserved that you sick bastard." Brett shook out his hand a little and walked out of the house, slamming the door behind him.

I looked to Levi who was already looking at me. I wanted to ask him where that came from but it was as if he read my eyes because he mouthed the words 'I don't know' while looking utterly confused.

Wherever it came from, I wasn't complaining. Patrick deserved it.

I had returned to the house once Melissa and I got the call that dad had come to, and left the house.

"Is he home yet?" was all I asked when I walked in the door.

Levi nodded. "In his room." He knew better than to ask what was going on between us. Not sure I would have a definite answer for him anyway.

As usual, I didn't have a clue where we stood.

"I'm beat so go get em." Melissa elbowed me.

I tapped my fingers softly against Brett's door, pushing it open slightly. "Can I come in?" I whispered through the crack.

"Go for it."

I closed the door behind me and approached where he sat on his bed.

"Why did you do that?"

"Carson talked to me." My heart quickened a little, panic setting in. What had Brett known about me this entire time?

"He told you about..." I trailed off hoping for Brett to finish my sentence so I could have my answer.

"How your dad treated you. That's fucked up Whitney. No parent should do that." He seemed to feel so strongly about it.

"Life is life." I accepted my childhood a long time ago. There was nothing I could do to change it. No way to reverse time; no way to prevent the struggles my family has had.