16 - The Universal Friend Zone

Chapter 16 - The Universal Friend Zone

I crinkled my nose and forced my eyes open. Light was piercing into my tent through the open door and something smelled foul.

Everything came rushing back when I turned to my right.

There was a sweaty Brett passed out cold, shirt covered in vomit.

Checking the time, my phone was telling me it's ten in the morning. I crawled through the door and smelled fresh burning wood. Levi had already gotten the start on the day.

He was kneeling down poking the fire, looking incredibly worn out. Melony was sitting in a lawn chair, her back facing me.

"Have a good night?" I asked and his head shot up, startled.

He stood up and stretched out his arms, "Lovely night." He smirked.

"Gross."

Melony didn't move a muscle so I sat down in the chair next to her, prepared to defend the fact that her boyfriend was sleeping in my tent.

"Hey there sleepy head." She piped up.

"Hey."

"How are you this morning?" She beamed at me.

Shouldn't she be in pissed off, psychotic girlfriend mode?

"Um, I'm good. I think we should talk though." She looked at me questioningly. "I want you to know nothing happened.... He just got really wasted and needed a hand."

"Oh! That! Don't worry silly, I didn't think anything of it. He's told me a million times that you're just like a little sister to him."

What? "He said that?"

"More than once, I mean, could you blame me for being a little worried that my boyfriend is living with someone as pretty as yourself?" She flashed a genuine smile before standing up.

Does she not remember what she did last night?

"Uh, thanks." I've never been very good at taking compliments, and especially not in a situation such as this, not that I've ever been in this situation before.

"No problem, I'd love to be a natural blonde." She handed me an orange juice from the cooler. "You look like you drank a bit too much last night too, some vitamin c will do you good." I opened the bottle and took a quick drink.

"Hey, I have a great idea." She perked right up and sometimes I just can't handle the spunkiness. "We should head into the main town for some breakfast. Just me and you. The boys can fend for themselves." She shrugged and finger combed through her hair.

"Sure, I guess."

"I'll have a farmer's omelet and a black coffee."

Our waiter turned to take my order. He was tall, had a lean build, and jet black hair. Overall he was good looking with green eyes and honestly, he reminds me of a cat.

"I'll have the triple stack pancakes, with chocolate milk, and blueberry syrup please."

The waiter was telling me that they were out of blueberry when Melony's voice interrupted him. "She could use some sausage as well." Melony winked and I couldn't even find the words to scold her.

"Regular syrup is fine then...." The waiter left out a soft chuckle and walked away.

My head shot towards Melony. "What the hell was that?"