19 - Jealousy

Chapter 19 - Jealousy

"Hey Whit, I know it's my night off but I just got called into work. Could you tell Brett when he gets home?"

I nodded my head without looking away from my book. I've gotten used to being in the house alone at night. Melissa works night shifts at the bar and here weekly schedule often runs into Levi's schedule. As for Brett, he likes to go out with his buddies ever since Melony flew back home for the week to see her friends. I wouldn't doubt it if some of them friends are guys, but hey, shouldn't jump to conclusions, right?

"Thanks. I'll leave my cell phone on the table for you just in case you need it." Levi has made a habit of doing this when I'm left alone. He hasn't been able to afford getting me my own phone just yet.

"Mhmm." I replied, still reading my book.

"You need to get a life." He laughed.

"No thanks. I prefer to live through the lives of these characters." I laughed.

"You're weird."

"Not quite. Their boyfriends are great in bed, it's all a girl can wish for." I joked.

His face twisted into a cringe. "Gross!"

He reached for his keys and threw his hands over his ears as I tried saying something else. "I'm not listening! La! La! La!" He sang as he went out the door.

I opened the back door to let Clover out before bed. It always gives me chills to come out here alone at night but the fence eases my mind.

"Go potty baby." She's sniffing around some bushes.

I turned around to head back inside because she's taking her time. I might as well get something done since I was reading all day.

When I was done with the dishes I went back out. About ten minutes have gone by since I left her out here.

"Clover!" I yell into the darkness. The only lights back here are some solar sticks hanging off the fence.

"Clover!" I try again but without much luck.

I slid on my flip flops and walked across the yard to the bushes and began searching them.

Shit.

In front of me was a little hole going beneath the fence. It's probably a result of all the rabbits that somehow get into the yard.

"Clover!" My voice was somewhat anger filled now, and I reached through the hole while continuing to call her name.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

I walked through the gate and stopped when I reached the front of the house. I held Levi's cell phone close to my body, and took a deep breath.

There's a lot of wild animals in the wooded suburbs here. I have to do this for her.

Everything around me was silent except for the occasional car passing by. The only sound that could be heard were my shoes flopping against the sidewalk.

I hugged my cardigan to my body. It was a windy night and my exposed thighs were covered in goose bumps. People probably think I'm a nut case walking around in pajama shorts.

"Clover!" I yelled for the hundredth time, trying to draw her attention, yet hoping to avoid the attention of anyone who may be outside.

I checked my phone to see that it's nearly midnight. I've been walking around for a good two hours now.