31 - Patience

Chapter 31 - Patience

"Do you think he's not here because of me?" Melissa hid her head in the blanket, clearly remembering last night's drunken outburst.

Levi didn't come home last night and I was positive that he's fine, but Melissa was feeling incredibly guilty.

"Noo, no, I'm sure that's not why." I set a cup of steaming cocoa on the table next to her and sat down by her feet.

I hated lying, but there was no reason for her to beat herself up. We all know she is very well the reason that he stayed out. Once Levi knows the truth, he probably won't be mad. If anything, he might be grateful that she was looking out for him.

I rubbed her feet through the blanket because my hands were ice cold, and I wanted to calm her down somehow.

Melissa's strained cries filled the silent house, and just the two of us were home so there was no one else to hear her besides me and the bats hibernating in the walls.

That's another problem that we very quickly discovered. After bats bomb diving us in the back yard, we discovered that they're hunkering down in the house for the winter. I guess it's not too much of a problem right now, but come next spring, it'll have to be taken care of.

Seeing Melissa like this was sad. She's so hung up on Levi. I'll never understand why, but whatever she sees in him, has her hooked. The more I see her get like this, the more I hate him for pushing her away.

Since when does it hurt to give someone a chance? Just so that you at least know if it would've worked out or not. I mean, what closure does it bring when you refuse to even try?

"I can't believe I told him that!" She banged her head off the couch arm and I sighed.

She was referring to the whole 'seeing what's in front of you' thing. That part bothered her the most.

Knowing that you acted like a complete fool, must be rough. It did come off a little too strongly to just assume that he'd eventually want her. Hannah showing up made it so clear that there's no hope for them, that even I gave up wishing. Melissa really should too.

"You're going to suffocate if you don't take that blanket off your head, and hitting your head definitely won't make the hangover any better."

"I don't want to be seen." She whined and I pulled at the soft fabric.

"Shut up."

It feels as though the roles have been reversed. It was always me hiding and not wanting to face the issues at hand. And it was always her forcing me to. But now she needed me to do the forcing and it was kind of empowering.

"Your hot chocolate is getting cold."

Her arms came up, folding the blanket over as her head surfaced. "I'm just so stupid." She grabbed the mug and took a sip. "I have a job now. Maybe I should try to get my apartment back."

"I'm not letting you move back into that place." I warned.

"It really was awful, wasn't it?"

"It should be condemned!" I laughed and for the first time all morning, she let out a chuckle instead of a sob.

My head snapped to the door as I watched the knob turn. It had to be Levi because the door was locked and Carson didn't have a key.

I watched as Melissa shrunk farther into the couch as Levi slowly walked in the room, quietly closing the door behind him.

"Hey." I looked at him and immediately jumped over the back of the couch. "Oh my God!" My hand went directly to his face, skimming over the dark bruises that covered his eye and cheek.