27 - Relapse

Chapter 27 - Relapse

There's just something about fall. Maybe it's how everything is a cozy shade of amber and the air has that brisk blustery feeling that bites your skin, or maybe it's the thought of how it kicks off the holiday season. There's something satisfying about it all the way down to how the ground crunches beneath your feet. Everything is so crisp and fresh, giving the most earthy scent to the air. There's pumpkins, comfy flannels, and crackling fires.

Well maybe not anymore because we don't have a fireplace, but there was always crackling fires in the old house. This was my mother's favorite time of year. She'd take us shopping for our Halloween costumes. We'd rake leaves into old clothing and make homemade scarecrows. And her pumpkin pie, oh her pumpkin pie. Nothing could beat it. The recipe had been passed down through generations and it died with her, but this time of year.... it just makes it feel like she's still with me.

I stood still and watched Carson as he raked the leaves. It had been just over a month and he still didn't remember. For him that night was long gone, and for me it just left me craving more.

"Why don't you just tell him?"

"How do you even tell someone something like that?"

"Just say it." Melissa shrugged and continued collasping the poles that had been supporting the pool.

It wasn't that simple though. If I were to just say it, then he'd more than likely be upset that I didn't tell him sooner. I've had weeks and weeks to speak up but I backed out every time I worked myself up to telling him. Now it's been too long and I think it may just make things weird.

I felt a drop of wetness on my forehead and looked up. That drop was followed by many more as grey clouds draped through the air.

"We should get inside guys, don't wanna get sick." Carson leaned the rake up against the house and abandoned his pile of leaves. "I can always get em tomorrow."

The wind picked up and what was left standing of the pool, swayed back and forth.

"We can't leave this half up. The wind will damage it." I continued collasping poles as Melissa was already half inside.

"Whit, it's fine, leave it."

"We're supposed to get strong winds tonight." I said and started stacking poles in a pile against the fence.

"God you're so stubborn." Carson rolled his eyes and started on folding the liner.

I laid on the couch feeling like hell.

"What did I tell you? I knew you'd get sick." Carson lectured and set a bowl of steaming chicken soup next to me.

"Yet you were outside also, and you're fine." I was annoyed of his motherly tendencies.

"I was wearing a coat, unlike you who refused the one I tried giving to you before going out there in the first place."

I stuck my tongue out at him and placed the soup on a pillow that sat firmly in my lap.

I was just about to take a bite when the phone rang.

"I got it!" Levi ran from the kitchen to grab the phone off the arm of the couch but it was already in my hands, and to my ear.

"Hello?" My voice was stuffy and congested.

"Whit?"

My face fell flat and my mouth sat open but nothing came out right away.