29 - Stabbed

Chapter 29 - Stabbed

I skipped down the stairs humming, Melissa and I were going to meet up with Carson at the park down the road.

He has a dentist appointment in the city and agreed to letting us ride with him so we could go costume shopping for Fright Fest.

Carson and I decided to match costumes. I was going to be a sailor girl and he was going to be a pirate.

I reached the bottom and hopped off the last step. I landed on the floor and stopped in my tracks.

Levi was sitting on the edge of the couch cradling his head in his hands.

Melissa was sitting on the chair staring at him with a worried face.

"What's going on guys?"

I took a few steps towards them, still feeling upbeat about the day.

Melissa looked me in the eyes, her face looking sorry and dreadful. Levi was the next one to look me in the eyes. His face held the same expression but to a worse degree.

"Levi?" I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. Just an hour ago they were laughing and joking around.

The last time anyone gave me that look, was after mom died. They all felt so pitiful for Levi and I. We had no one and were a magnet for teary eyed adults. It was sickening to see the constant sorrowful looks.

"Dad called."

I blinked a few times, my face feeling cold, "What did he want?"

"He wants to visit."

I took a deep breath and folded my arms across my chest. "How did he find us?" This was impossible. How did he even know where to look? We've been in and out of so many different homes. He abandoned us. He had no rights to us, no way to get any information about us, so how?

"Whitney, I've always been in contact with him...." He left the words hanging in the air. The tension stretching around us, engulfing my very being.

I shook my head at him, feeling more disappointed than I ever imagined possible. "How could you even talk to that monster?" I hissed.

It felt as though I've been stabbed in the back. My chest physically ached and tightened.

"Whitney, he helped me pay for college. I wouldn't be anywhere without him."

He always told me that Brett was the reason he was able to get here.

"Well, good for you Levi. You were always his golden boy."

I slipped on my shoes and off the corner of my eye I saw Melissa stand up.

"Whitney!" She yelled as I stormed out the door.

I turned around and gritted my teeth, "What?" I practically growled.

"You should hear him out."

I rolled my eyes and let out a humored laugh.

It's so funny how people can just walk into your life and think they know everything. If Melissa would have ever been in my position, those would be the last words out of her mouth.

I wrapped my sweatshirt tighter around my waist and approached Carson. "Hey." I smiled and took a seat at the picnic table. I leaned over to kiss him, but he stopped me and looked into my eyes.

"Have you been crying?" He ran a thumb across my cheek bone.

My smile fell and I pulled my head back.