24 - The Inevitable

Chapter 24 - The Inevitable

"So Melissa likes Levi but Levi doesn't like Melissa?" Carson was summing up my recap to him of last week.

Melissa seemed a lot less obvious about liking Levi during this time. Even while Levi had various girls over, she expressed zero hostility towards them or him.

"Exactly." I opened my mouth and Carson attempted to throw a grape into it. He failed miserably. The grape bounced off my cheek, leaving a wet spot that I wiped away with the bottom of my shirt.

"Well she seems like a nice girl, so I think she's better off without him. No offense to your brother."

"Nah, he's a pig. Definitely doesn't deserve her."

"Glad we're on the same page."

I nodded my head before letting it fall back to the tree behind me. "I can't believe the summer is almost over." My arm slung over Bandit's back, my hand slowly stroking his under belly. He immediately dropped to the ground for a belly rub.

"Yeah, I know, but that's good for me."

"Hunting season?" I looked at Carson and laughed. The boy is really into all the outdoors stuff. "Well there's still a month of summer left, and then a couple more months until then."

"It'll come soon enough." He grinned.

With Brett and Melody gone, the house has become so quiet, and cleaner, but mostly just quiet. Melissa took over Brett's room and it was a lot more lively than when Brett had it. His room was so clean and well kept. Melissa's version of the room is a lot more lived in and colorful.

Levi seems lonely without Brett here. I don't know if he's depressed or what without his buddy, but he just hasn't seemed the same these past couple days. I know work has really been dragging him down. They've had him on overtime and he hardly gets a day off. Maybe that's why he's been this way.

I watched him as he just sat on the couch, staring at nothing in particular. He would crack his knuckles every now and again, or readjust his legs. He seemed very restless, but more today than any other day.

I'm not sure what was going on in his head, but he was thinking very hard.

"Levi?"

"What, yeah?" He stirred and his head shook a little before he noticed me. "Sorry, what'd you want?"

The way he was acting threw me off. There's definitely something going on.

"Um, nothing." I decided on dropping it as of right now. If he wanted me to know, he would have told me by now.

He went right back to thinking and I went back up to my room by Carson.

He was still laying on my bed watching Tuesdays with Morrie. After days of arguing with him over reading the book, we came to a cooperation that he'd at least watch the movie. It was one of my favorite books, but the movie teaches the same lesson. I promised him that everyone can benefit from it. Despite the heart wrenching ending, it really teaches you to be happy and enjoy your life. It definitely helped me at one point.

"Where's the popcorn?" Carson frowned at my empty hands before quickly looking back at the TV.

"Levi is acting-"

"Shh." Carson held up his hand, muting me.

"Wooow, to think you originally resisted so much." I climbed in next to him, letting my back rest into his chest. We laid there in silence for a few minutes until Carson paused the movie. I guess you could say we've been flirting a tad bit.