49 - Red

Chapter 49 - Red

Three Years Later

I gripped Brett's hand as we crossed the busy street in front of our building. It was inevitable that someday we would leave that little old house, and with the baby on the way, we knew it was time.

Besides, the city was closer to Brett's workplace, and with prices going up, we really couldn't complain about saving gas money. Living in the city, he was able to carpool with other co-workers from our building. It was more practical and left me with the car in case I needed it.

This all felt right. Life was ours now. Getting our first apartment was the beginning of a new ear. I was growing up. Brett was growing up. Levi and Melissa were starting a family. Although in the back of my head, I wondered if and when a wedding would take place. I'm not judging, I just really want to see them seal the deal. But somewhere in their minds, a baby is less commitment than a marriage, and with their individual issues, less commitment was less anxiety for them.

"Are you excited to see the baby?" I grinned up at Brett once we safely crossed the road.

"Sure." He shrugged and I felt left down.

"Well do you like kids?"

"Those little ankle biters? Nah." He laughed and tightened his hand around mine.

I rose up on my tip toes and brought my face to his. "Shut up." I murmured into his lips before giving him a quick kiss.

"Can you believe it's being born today, on our anniversary?" I speculated over the odd coincidence. Of all days, our anniversary.

Okay, maybe that was pretty minor and unimportant, but I learned to appreciate the small occurrences in life, and I felt this one was kind of cool and meant to be.

"It sure is fascinating."

I could tell he wasn't as in awe as I was, but that was okay. I was fine with being the excitable one.

"Hey is that..." Brett trailed off, looking down the sidewalk.

I stopped and focused on all the faces coming towards us.

"Oh my God." I grabbed Brett's hand and ran forwards.

"Hi." I came to halt in front of the familiar face.

He stopped in front of me, looking startled. "Oh." He awkwardly said and I frowned. "I didn't mean it in a bad way. Just shocked to see you after so long."

"I'm sorry if I'm bothering you or anything. We just saw you and well, it's been a while." I nodded my head and lifted my arms.

Carson lent in and accepted the quick hug. Brett awkwardly stood next to me, clearly feeling out of place.

"No, it's fine. So you two?" He questioned, and his slight smile took a huge weight off.

"Yeah." I smiled, grabbing back onto Brett's hand.

"I'm glad you got it figured out. You two were meant for each other." Carson smiled, sticking his hands in his pockets.

"Thank you." I didn't have to say anymore. He knew what I meant. "Um-" I paused. Not sure how to get out my next sentence. "I heard about your grandma. I- saw it in the paper." I didn't just leave it at that though. I went to the funeral. I stood in the back, out of sight. It pained me too much not to go.

"I'm sorry for your loss Carson. She was an amazing lady."

Edith had passed away in the comfort of her own home. The paper wrote it as if it was expected, and part of me hurt at the fact that Carson never got in touch with me when she was dying. I would've liked to see her but I couldn't blame his actions. If I was already hurting, the last thing I'd want is to see another thing that caused me pain.