7 - Clover

Chapter Seven - Clover

"We've been in the car for an hour." I muttered, feeling tired.

"Yes, but it was all for this."

I looked at the building in front of us. A rescue center?

"What is this?"

"You seem lonely being home all the time." Levi shrugged and Brett laughed a little.

I reached forward and smacked them both in the back of the head.

I followed them through the doors of the building, and the first thing I heard was a ton of barking.

"No way...." I walked over to a pink glass door and peered through the blurriness. There were rows of cages on the other side, all with jumpy excited dogs.

"There's not only dogs, there's cats too." Levi smirked.

I narrowed my eyes at him, glaring. He knows I'm allergic to cats.

"What was that for?" Brett questioned, staring at the two of us.

"She's allergic to cats." Levi chuckled a little and it earned another smack in the head by me.

"Would you quit that?" He swatted my hand away and rubbed his head.

"Quit being a dick then."

I heard a cough to the side of us and I was immediately embarrassed by my foul word choice."Hi, how can I help you?" A lady greeted us.

"We wanted to check out the dogs." Brett's voice took the edge off a little.

I walked back to the glass door and continued to peek at the dogs. If I angled my head just right, I could see them without the blurred door interfering.

"Well let's go." Levi and Brett came up behind me and I eagerly pushed the door open.

"I wish I could rescue them all." I sighed after looking for a good thirty minutes.

"Yeah well you can't. Only one." Levi warned and I stuck out my bottom lip, pouting. "ONLY ONE." He warned again and I noticed Brett had an amused grin on his face.

"Well then I think I'll go with this little girl." I walked to the end of the cages and bent down next to cage sixteen.

There was little white Maltese puppy. On the chart it said her name was Clover and that she was the last of a whole litter.

I know how lonely that can feel.

I stuck my finger through the cage and she ferociously licked and nibbled it. "Hey girl, do you need a family?" I whispered and her ears perked up. "I can be your family." I smiled.

"I'm just waiting for her to chomp your finger off." Brett laughed.

"Shut up! She's too sweet and innocent to do that!" I defended the little pup.

"Not everything is always as innocent as it seems." His voice faded as he casually walked away and my head whipped towards his back.

What the hell was that supposed to mean?

"You're sure that's the one?" Levi double checked with me before he signed his name at the bottom of the adoption form.

"Positive." I smiled cheekily as Clover crawled up my chest, trying to lick my chin.

We stopped at pet smart on the way home. I found these adorable little pink ceramic food dishes. They had little bow designs imprinted on them. I know it's a little girly for me but it fit Clover perfectly. Her white fluffy hair just screams princess and so I'll treat her like one.