38 - Not Just Visiting

Chapter 38 - Not Just Visiting

Nope.

Brett gave us a nervous smile and I slowly stood up.

He looked good, I'll give him that. He wore a thick wool coat, which was only appropriate for the heavy snowfall we were having. His hair was sticking in all different places from the beanie he pulled off his head, and he looked more alert than I've ever seen him.

He didn't have that usual tired, run down look. He didn't have bags under his eyes or just the visible look of a stressed out person.

He looked healthy and alive.

"Um, I'll go talk to Levi." Carson set down the coffee and backed out of the room.

"What happened?" Brett dropped his luggage and quickly came to my side, inspecting my arm.

Yanking myself away, I stayed distanced from him, trying to fully take in what was going on.

"Why are you here?" I willed the words to sound strong and confident, and maybe they did to him, but to me they sounded pained and fatigued.

"Home for the holidays?" He tried but I could tell he was lying, and it didn't take any pressing to get the truth. "I missed it here." His face softened and this time he didn't dare say he missed me.

"Okay?" I asked with no care. "So what?" Just because you miss something, doesn't you're missed in return.

"Levi asked me to come back."

"Don't put words in his mouth. He told me you wanted to come back." I stated firmly, feeling some strength arising in me.

"And I did, but he told me no. Then last week he called me, and asked if I still wanted to move back." He did what?

"He wouldn't do that."

"Look Whit. I-"

"Don't." I warned

"Fine. Whitney, I don't want to get in the middle of this. Take it up with him." He signaled to Levi who walked into the room, Carson standing behind him.

"Nice shirt by the way." He picked up his bags and went up the stairs.

"Don't be mad." I turned to Levi who looked terrified.

As he should be.

"You have two seconds to explain."

"Just keep an open mind."

"One." I narrowed my eyes.

"Okay, okay. I didn't have a choice Whit."

"Excuse me?" I laughed. "How the hell do you not?"

"With the Holidays here, it's hard to stay afloat. Bills pile up when snow causes the factory to shut down and I lose hours. Melissa's bar tending isn't much extra help. It's just too hard without the extra income."

It was true that Levi had been home more often lately. We've had blizzards on and off, and with their employees safety in mind, the factory would close up to prevent dangerous travel.

But if I wasn't so messed up, I'd be able to get a job and help out.

Does Levi see me as the burden I feel like?

Inside, I was mad. I was mad that Levi would not only allow Brett to come back, but be the one to invite him here. I'm mad that Levi never tells me when things are getting too hard. I'm mad he keeps things to himself and acts like everything is just dandy.