23 - Fire and Ice

Hey guys, I'm so glad I was able to update tonight. I want to thank you guys for being so patient and understanding. I'm very thankful for such a great group of readers!!

For those of you who celebrate Thanksgiving, I hope you had a wonderful holiday and hope you enjoy these chapters :)

________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 23 - Fire and Ice

"So talk." My voice choked much to my dismay, and I felt overwhelmed.

"Melony wasn't pleased when Brett told her about you guys."

"I don't blame her." I shrugged, but part of me had no remorse. She screwed around on him many times. Who was she to feel upset?

"He decided to go back home with her."

I was confused, and even though we once agreed on quits, a little hurt because of the hope he gave me.

"They came to an agreement that they couldn't have a healthy relationship with him here."

I stood there wordlessly with the quiet room looming over my shoulder.

I thought he was done with her.

"He didn't want to tell you before leaving."

So his little hiking day was like his send off? That's so incredibly fucked up.

"Do me a favor and pick better friends." I shoved past Levi.

Funny how heartbreak can give you so much needed strength, because here I am, out here on my own. Not so much as an ounce of fear. No racy heart, no paled skin.

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

While I could thank Brett for how far I've come, I can't seem to find anything inside except hate. I hated him for being so charming. I hated him for inviting me to that stupid club that mostly started all this. I hated him for picking her, because somewhere deep down, I thought he'd fight for me.

But he picked her. He saw hope for her. He really likes to go for the messed up ones it seems. I mean hey, I was a fucking wreck before him. He's a fixer. That's what he is. He likes to fix people. Those are the worst kinds of people. They fix you until you're no longer broken and then they move onto their next project.

That's all I must have been to him, a project.

He made me less fucked up in one way, and left me more fucked up in another.

Last night, he told me he thinks he loves me.

He embedded me with false hope- false reassurance, and that right there is the most fucked up part of it all.

When Carson picked me up at a pay phone. I was more than grateful for it.

I looked at him cautiously as I climbed inside his truck. Bandit sat between us and I was happy about it.

There was no hiding my tear stained cheeks. My nose was running and my hair was damp, clinging to my cheeks.

Carson looked unsure of what to say and I was overwhelmed. I had feelings for Brett that were buried for so long and now it's as if a volcano erupted in me, and those feelings arose to the surface. Brett's absence was the disturbance which triggered it, and I was confused.