10 - Fragile

EDIT: Dedicating a random chapter to Jaime4987 because she votes a ton on 'Turning into a Ten' and I appreciate it so much! Thank you! :)

Early update for all you valentiners!

_________________________________________

Chapter Ten - Fragile

I jumped and gasped as I walked into the living room. Melissa was standing in the front doorway, Brett staring her down.

"Whitney! Tell him to let me in." Melissa popped her hip and smirked at Brett.

I set down my salami sandwich lunch and joined by Brett's side.

"Melissa-"

"Come on Whit."

"The other night-" I took a deep breath and rolled my neck, looking up at the sunny blue sky for a moment, "I just-"

"I would've called if I had your number."

I frowned at her lame excuse because she has Levi's number and as far as she knew, he was giving me a ride.

"I think you should go." Brett spoke up, probably noticing my distress, but I put a hand to his chest, stopping him from closing the door.

"I can handle this." I smiled slightly and joined Melissa on the porch. I sat on the top step and she sat next to me.

"You're going to have to come up with something better than that." I pursed my lips and pulled up some peeling paint that was on the porch. I didn't want to make eye contact with her, but her next words gave me no choice.

"Levi told me some things."

"What are those things?" My voice wavered nervously. Would Levi really tell her that much? He's not usually open with people, and he keeps my life pretty private.

"A lot. ...I don't really know how to voice it." She scratched her temple and looked away.

"You know about her?"

She nodded a couple times and spoke up some more. "I know about you being there..."

He told her everything.

"Peanut Butter?" I questioned, wanting to know how detailed Levi was.

"Yup." She let out a puff of air.

"Could you maybe not say anything? I don't want people to know." I didn't like how vulnerable I sounded, but the fact of the matter is that nothing makes me more fragile than this.

"On one condition."

I looked up to her confused. I didn't expect her to bribe me over this. How cruel could she really be? "Yes?"

"Do you think we could be friends again? I won't make the same mistake again, I promise." She held out her pinky and I couldn't help but laugh a little.

"I suppose." My pinky connected with her and it turned into a light hug.

"Everything okay out here?" I looked over my shoulder to Brett, he looked genuinely concerned.

"Everything is fine." I smiled.

"That's good. I have a proposal."

"That is?"

"I want to take you for a walk."

I stood up and brushed off the back of my shorts. "One minute." I held up a hand to Melissa and walked back into the house with Brett. "I don't think so." I tilted my head and furrowed my eyebrows, almost like a confused puppy.