20 - The More The Merrier

Chapter 20 - The More The Merrier

Brett and I walked in the front door and headed straight for the backyard. He was carrying Clover and I was carrying the shovel that we picked up from Walmart on the way home.

"Where do you want her?" Brett asked as we stared at the yard.

"Right there, so I can plant some flowers over her." I pointed to the back corner of the yard. It was a place where none of their drunk buddies could disturb her. "I'm going to make a snack, do you want anything?" I asked before heading back inside.

It just now hit me that I was starving after such a long night.

"Just whatever you're having." He picked up the shovel and got to work.

I walked back outside holding a plate of crackers and cheese. I wasn't feeling as heartbroken as I did when I first saw her. My life has seemed to always consist of losing things I care about. I guess you just get used to it.

"Come on." Brett grabbed my hand and led me over to the freshly dug hole. He removed the sweatshirt from around Clover and wrapped her in a little pink blanket that I had bought tonight. I figured that Carson will probably want his shirt back. If he hunts, then I'm sure blood doesn't bother him.

He gently lowered her into the hole and joined me standing off to the side. "Is there anything you'd like to say?" He asked.

"Just to myself." I lowered my head and said a little prayer.

When I opened my eyes, Brett was staring intently at me. "What's wrong?" I looked up at him, wondering out loud.

"Nothing, just go ahead inside and I'll finish up here."

I nodded and complied to his words.

I was half asleep on the couch when the cushion next to me dipped down. I opened my eyes a little to see Brett sitting there.

He looked stressed out and I pushed myself to sit straight up. He looked at me for a second and then focused back on the TV.

I straightened my legs out that were tucked under me, and scooted closer to him.

He raised his eyebrow in curiosity as I moved in and wrapped my arms around his neck. He seemed hesitant at first but his arms eventually found their way around my waist and he held me tightly.

"Thank you." I mumbled into his shoulder. "I don't know what I would have done without you tonight." And it was the truth. Brett came to my rescue when Levi wasn't able to. And sure Carson was a great help, but he didn't bring me home and bury my dead dog. Not that I would have expected him to, but you know what I mean. Brett didn't have to do that. He could've bailed and said fuck this.

"Whit." He breathed into my hair that was horrendously tangled from the humid night. I felt his arms tighten, not that they could much more, but they managed to.

He smelled fresh like body wash and after shave and his hair was damp against my head. He must have just showered before coming in here. I could even feel a slight wetness on his shirt.

I pulled away from him after the ten seconds that felt more like a minute, and his arms unraveled, his hands settling on my waist. It was then that I realized the degree of this moment where I was somewhat straddling him and this whole situation got insanely awkward.

"Whitney." His left hand grazed the side of my body upwards and rested on the side of my neck. My face was about two feet from his but I could still smell the mint mouthwash rolling off his tongue as he spoke. "You don't need to thank me." His voice was soft and raspy. He had that total hot guy tired voice going on.