Papa Don't Preach | The Apprentice (Part 3.1)

I created a monster. And I may have swallowed more than I can chew because this apparently is a monster of a part that I had to slice into two (hopefully two lang talaga). I needed to because past 12 na and I have work tomorrow. I just really want to get it out of my system this weekend but my migraine got in the way. Oh well, here it goes...

Again, I have no ownership or relationship whatsoever to the people implied here. This is PURELY FICTIONAL. Song is Love Story from Taylor Swift, back when I still liked her. This is unedited because it's already late.

---

In Which This Love Is Difficult (1)

We were both young when I first saw you.

I close my eyes and the flashback starts:

I'm standing there on a balcony in summer air.

"Nasan si Reeza?" Papa came rushing into the studio after I've gone back from the Baranggay.

"Papa! Did you see me? Was I good?" I excitedly asked him, because let's face it, despite my father's overprotectiveness, I'm still Papa's little girl and his approval meant a lot to me. I sense how proud he is of me but I also know from the look on his face that he is displeased. Of what, I have yet to know.

"Of course, you did great little lady. But I need to see your Tita Reeza first. Where's your mom? Get her for me please." I left him as he barged in each of the dressing rooms there looking for Tita Reeza.

I found my mother in the writers' office with Tita Reeza. Apparently, my Papa grew some common sense and found all of us there.

"Hi Love! What are you doing here so early? You have a shoot right?" My Papa was part of the opening prod with her earlier but left immediately for another commitment. Which, given that he is now, he either went through and finished in a snap or left the project altogether.

My mother's greeting was left without a response as Papa went straight to Tita Reeza.

"Reeza! Ano yung kanina?! Hindi nyo na naman ako in-orient?! I did not agree to that!"

"Calm down, RJ. You agreed to Charm doing a remake of Kalyeserye." Tita Reeza looked calm and collected but I can see her twisting her hands behind her back, clearly guilty of what she did.

"Oo, pumayag ako dun! Pero hindi nyo naman sinabi na gagawan nyo ng ka-love team ang anak ko! I'm not even allowing her to enter showbiz. I only agreed as a favor to you." My Papa's ears are red.

"Love...calm down please. Let's talk--"

"Maine, alam mo ba to?!" Patay...

"I didn't...at first. But when I saw Baste arrive at the front entrance I kind of had an idea."

"And you didn't tell me?!" He's pacing back and forth. It's hilarious to watch...under a different circumstance. Preferably one that doesn't involve me.

"Well, you already left and I also wanted to see how things will go for myself. Charm was so good Love! She's a natural." Mama was using her sweet voice, the one she uses when she wanted to get something from Papa that he won't easily agree to. And she was clearly trying to divert the topic.

"I know that, she got it from you." He softened a bit until...

"The audience loved them!" Wrong word, Tita Reeza. I wanted to hide behind my hands when Papa gave her the look. "Err...her."

"Wala ba akong karapatan para malaman kung paano nyo gagamitin ang anak ko? Wala syang kontrata dito."

"I know that RJ. And you agreed not to sign any because it was only for the anniversary. What's Kalyeserye without the kilig? Of course, we'll find a counterpart for you. Besides, she did great. We had a bump in ratings and Twitter is going crazy again."