The Apprentice Outtakes: OVERPROTECTED

Yay for an update! I am nursing a mild headache but I couldn't resist R3.

Still, none of the characters are mine, nor am I associated with any of them. This is FICTION.

---

This is an outtake from Confessions | The Apprentice (Part 3.2). How Baste got R3 to sneak out Charm for him.

In Which The Apple Didn't Fall Too Far From The Tree

Baste walked off the stage with a smile on his face. Another show done, he thought. Not really, because he still has a shoot to go to after EB but he can relax for an hour or so. If he was lucky enough, maybe he can wait here long enough for her to come back from the baranggay. After his talk with the Faulkersons a few days ago, he's been itching to talk to her and get the ball rolling. He was a bit surprised to find a younger Faulkerson in one of the dressing rooms.

"Uy, hi R3! Kumusta?" He knows how close the father and son are, including how hey tag team against Charm's potential suitors, intercepting them before they could get near. But since he's already gotten the go signal from the father, this should be a piece of cake.

"Okay."

Or so he thought. One word answer. Baste hates one word answers. But he needs to be patient.

"Sinong kasama mo? Andito si Ate Maine?"

"Ako lang." Two words. At least that's progress.

"Ah, so waiting for your sister then?"

"Yes." One word again. The kid didn't even look up from the Nintendo he was playing with. He was thinking of how he can break the ice with R3. They weren't like this before he left, they used to play ball together with his brother Sam. Then again, he wasn't about to court his sister before he left so this is quite understandable.

"Hinihintay ko si ate. I'll drive her home. Mahirap na, alam mo naman, bawal yun madapuan." The kid finally looked up to him and gave him a meaningful look.

This is RJ's son alright. No mistaking it. He got everything from his father including that scary look he hopes he will not have to receive from them eventually.

"Uh, right. I know how much you love your sister. I came by your house a few days ago."

"I know, Papa told me."

"Sayang, you weren't home. We could've played some ball, just like old times." He gave the boy a light punch on the arm, hoping to diffuse the tension.

R3 just looked at his arm then to him, "Hmp, I know you weren't there to play ball with me."

"Well, yes..but if you happened to be there --"

"You wouldn't have liked it if I happened to be there."

Since when did teenagers start scaring him? Kids these days.

"Now that I think about it, it would have been better if you were there too. You know, like ripping a band-aid in one sudden go?"

He just got a nod in return.

"Look R3, I know how much you love your Ate Charm-"

"We've already established that a few minutes ago."

He continued on unfaltered by the remark. "I understand that, but as I have also asked your parents, I hope you can trust me with her."

"Trust is earned, not given."

"Exactly. I hope that having known and being quite close to your family from the start would at least have gained me that trust. I'm not doing this out of the blue, you know. I've thought about it through and through because I know I cannot lose your family's friendship, most especially the trust. It was all I thought about while I was away."

"Okay." Back to one word answers. How can he get through to this kid.

"Meaning? You're agreeing with this?"

"Papa already said yes so there's really no way for me to say no. He's the final word."

A deep relieved sigh came from Baste, "That's good then." He smiled at the boy.

"But know that I'm watching you."

"Yes, I understand. Don't worry I won't fail you"

"As in literally watching you because I will be driving Ate to and from work starting today."

There goes his plan of telling Charm, today. Of all the girls he can fall in love with, he had to fall in love with a Faulkerson. Tough fate. But he will now back down. "Did Kuya RJ tell you to do that?"

"No. I'm doing this on my own."

"Alright then. It means I get to see you more often."

"Have you told Ate Charm that you'll be courting her?"

"Not yet. I haven't gotten around to doing it. I haven't seen her since and well, aside from her busy schedule, it seem's she's under lock and key."

R3 nodded at him, understanding where he's getting at. Kid wasn't even fazed at his dib about their overprotectiveness. Kahit magalit o anumang reaction from R3 is definitely better than being dismissed this way.

"How's school, by the way."

"Okay." Argh! This is driving him crazy.

"Good to hear. What are you playing?"

"Nintendo, obviously." The boy was once again back to playing.

"Do you have the new Xbox already?"

"Yeah."

"What are the games that you have?" R3 recited the games that he had with eyes still glued on his Nintendo.

"You don't have the latest NBA game yet?"

"Not yet. Papa won't buy me one. Pag-ipunan ko daw. Kuripot talaga."

Baste laughed at that. He definitely knows that. "Maganda yung game! I've already started playing mine. Sayang nga, I already bought one online, may nagbigay pa man din na fan sa akin ng copy."

The boy suddenly looked up to him interested. "You have an extra copy?"

"Yes. I don't know what to do with it since Sam already has his own." He looked at R3 and saw a hopeful look on his face.

Ding, ding ding!

"Hey, I can give it you. Sayang naman kung mabubulok lang yun sa bahay."

"Really? Talaga kuya?" Kuya, finally he got called kuya. And he's got R3's full attention now.

"Sure! I'll bring it tomorrow. You'll be here to get Charm right?"

"Yes, I'll be here. Sobrang thank you, Kuya. Hindi ko na kailangan pa mag-ipon. Yes!" It looked like Christmas came early for R3. And for Baste too, it seems.

"Tsk. I can't stay long, may shoot pa nga pala ako sa Makati. Hindi ko na mahihintay ang Ate mo, sayang. Bukas na lang hopefully. I'll bring the game. I'll see you then."

Baste was almost at the door when R3 called him, "What time does your shoot end? Ate and I will swing by her favorite coffee shop on our way home. You can meet us in the parking lot."

Christmas is indeed early! Baste wanted to do a victory dance and a shout but will reserve it for later. "Thanks bro. I'll text you." He gave R3 a fist bump and left.

Sorry Papa, ang kuripot mo kasi eh, R3 thought. 

---

Obviously I know nothing about video games. Let me know what you think :)