The Accomplice (Part 1)

This is dedicated to everyone who loved R3 and is looking forward to his story. This is it. Sorry this took quite long, been busy with work and I was also on a long vacation.

Disclaimer: Obviously a work of FICTION.

---

In Which He Enlisted The Help Of The Wrong Person

The BBQ party was now split into two. The ladies stayed in the living room while the gents took camp in the adjoining veranda, each with their own agenda.

"Ate Charm, you'll be one of my 18 candles ha?" Sabrina asked Charmaine, who was to her like an older sister.

"Sure Sab. Sino pala escort mo?"

"Hindi ko pa nga alam e."

"Well, don't you have a close friend na guy? Or maybe a crush?" Charm gave the younger girl a teasing smile.

"Hay naku Charm, as if naman papayag ang Tito Sam mo." Patricia interjected. It's been an argument that she hasn't won yet with her husband. Even though their eldest is now turning 18 and they've been planning this for weeks, he still won't budge. She talked to him about it ahead of time, to persuade him so that her daughter won't be disappointed, but to no avail.

"Escort lang naman, hindi naman kasal," Maine said a bit louder.

As intended, Sam overheard her comment, "Hey what's that I hear in there? Sinong ikakasal and why am involved?"

"Wala pinag-uusapan lang namin ang debut ni Sabrina... and who her escort is. Ano na, Sab? Made your decision yet?" - M

"I don't know Tita M."

"Baka naman nahihiya ka lang. Don't worry ako bahala sa Daddy mo." - M

"Oo nga sweetie, sino ba ang gusto mo? It's your party." Patricia encouraged her daughter. She knows she already has someone in mind but is holding back for the sake of her dad.

"But I'm paying for it!" Sam reminded them.

"Samir!" Chastised by his wife, he raised his hands in surrender and shrugged.

"Sige na ate, alam ko kung sino crush mo!" The younger Gogna girl joined in the conversation.

"Pamela, shut up please." Red in the face, Sabrina tried to stop her sister.

"Narinig ko kayo ng mga friends mo, you want Jacob to be your escort di ba?"

"Jacob who?" Sam heard the name and was wishing it wasn't who he thought it was. He walked back to the living room, the rest of the male party on his heels.

"Si Jacob, yung classmate ni Kuya R3." Pamela elaborated. The Gogna girls attend an all-girls school. Dahil praning ang tatay nila. But of course, the school has a "sister" school na all boys, the one R3, and Jacob, attends.

"Wait, Jacob as in Jacob Ejercito?" Asked a smiling Charm. She knows the kid from her brother's class. Quite the charmer, and troublemaker, from what she heard.

"Ejercito?!" Sam and RJ chorused. The former in horror and the latter in curiosity

A flash of a camera went off. "That was priceless. I'm going to post this later." Valeen spoke up while snickering. She was waiting for that reaction.

"Yes, daddy. Okay lang ba?" Sab shyly, and fearfully, asked her dad. Looking up to her mother for help. "He's the only one I know, and like."

"No way." Was Sam's stern reply.

RJ tapped Sam comfortingly (and in jest) at the back, "that's tougher than Baste."

"Shut up, man." Sam turned to Sabrina, "come on sweetheart, wala na bang iba? Just hearing that surname is enough to give me a heart attack."

Patricia rolled her eyes at her husband. "Don't be so dramatic Sam. Escort lang naman."

"There's so much connotation in that. Ako na lang escort mo."

"Dad!" / "Sam!" The girls said all at once, their faces covered in disbelief.

"Ang corny mo, Paps. Buti na lang may anak akong lalaki na default escort ni Charm." It wasn't much of a comfort to Sam that his friend is not helping him make his case.

"Only because Baste was not available and out of the country that time." Maine said under her breath but enough for him to hear.

"What?!"

"Yes, Papa. I asked Baste to be my escort and 18th rose then, but he was interning." Charm told her father matter-of-factly.

"And I didn't know this because?" - RJ

"Because it didn't push through. Now, going back to Sabrina's party," Maine is very much acquainted with her husband's dramatic side, the downside of marrying a multi-awarded dramatic actor who cries and is more dramatic behind the camera than in front of it. She dismissed his episode quickly and diverted back to the topic at hand.

Sam and Pat was having a staring contest, trying to persuade each other silently. Sabrina is not new to her parents' way of settling things but is getting impatient. "Daddy, can I invite Jacob to be my escort, please?" She gave him her cutest, paawa face that has gotten her a lot of what she wanted in the past.

"Sorry sweetheart, but final answer is no." Sam hated to disappoint her daughter but he will definitely not agree to this. Even if he will have to face the wrath of his wife later.

No.

Never.

He isn't prepared for this. He's had a great time watching Faulkerson squirm in his seat dealing with Charm's would-be suitor and then seeing his vein almost pop out with Baste. No, he shouldn't be in this position yet.

Sabrina wanted to cry but she knows it won't get her anywhere. When it comes to boys, it's basically non-negotiable with her father. "But Daddy, sino naman escort ko. Wag naman ikaw please. Or any of my cousins, they're too young pa. I'm 18, not 7."

Sam wanted to give the world to his daughters. He would, really, as much as it was possible for him. But this is impossible. It's like inviting thieves into his house. He needs a watchdog. Face to palm, he drew a long breath and thought of what he can do. Damn his swimmers for not giving him a son to help him now like Faulkerson ha--

"Si R3. Sya na lang ang escort mo. That's as far as I would go."

"But dad," Sabrina was about to protest. Hindi nga nya pinsan pero parang ganon din ang effect.

"Si Tres or ako, take it or leave it."

"Fine." At least, hindi kapatid or pinsan nya which is so corny and KJ really. And R3 would look good in the pictures. She's trying to stay positive.

"Tres!" Sam called on his inaanak who was minding his own, as usual, and nakadikit ang mukha sa Nintendo.

R3 momentarily looked up from his game and addressed his ninong, "Yes, ninong?"

"Ikaw ang escort ni Sabrina sa debut nya."

"Okay." always the quiet one na matipid sumagot. Sam liked that about his godson, tahimik pero masunurin. Like a watchdog. His watchdog.

Case closed.

"Pero pwede naman sigurong 18th rose mo si Jacob ate!" Pamela comforted her sister, to whom Sam gave a glare.

"Tres!"

"Yes po?"

"Ikaw din ang 18th rose ni Sab." He was already exasperated with this debut business. Ang mahal na nga ng gastos nya, may kunsumisyon pa.

"Okay."

Sam sighed in relief. Maaasahan talaga.

Everyone got back to their own business, and R3 to his own world. But not without a silent scream of triumph, fist raised to the air, that everyone thought was due to a high point in his game.

Indeed a high point in this game.

Faulkerson - 1, Ejercito - 0

---

I am not so sure yet whether I should play up this rivalry. We'll see. Let me know what you think.