Sweet 16

(Todd)

 "Todd, one big breath!" The smile that had been plastered on my face all day remained where is was, my mom set a chocolate, six layer cake on the table in front of me. It wasn't the biggest of birthday parties, actually by any standards it was quite small consisting of only me, my mom, and my two best friends Jenny and Bell.

 My father walked out on us when I was little, I don't remember why just something about me being a dud. I remember mom got so pissed off at him she threw his fully packed suit case at him and chased him out then we had a long movie night and she let me eat ice cream before dinner.

 We aren't rich but we get by, "Todd blow out the candles before they drip wax all over that cake!" I chuckled and shook my head as Jenny eyed my cake with lusting eyes. Still smiling I turn to the small candles bunched on the cake, as air filled my lungs time seemed to slow.

 The flickering of the candles slowed, my friends' eager faces froze as the air around me rippled and shimmered as chills ran up my spine. My smile dropped as time snapped back to its regular pace and the flames in front of me grew in size and leaned toward me, as if I were pulling them in. I felt the breeze on my skin as it swirled around me lifting my black hair.

 A heavy smell of ocean water filled my nose, and a coolness washed over my skin. The ground under me pulsed to life and my body suddenly seemed lighter.

 Bell's eyes were wide, Jenny was staring at me in shock, and my mother had both hands covering her mouth.

 I frowned and my eyebrows pushed together "What?" Bell shook her head "Your eyes, they're... bright orange." I squinted at them and looked from her to Jenny to my mom, they were up to something.

 Jenny's breathing hitched, "They just changed again... to dark orange." My mom shook her head and whimpered softly. I frowned again, "Mom are you okay?" Bell stood up "Blue." Mom swallowed thickly and cleared her throat, "Bell, Jenny go home."

 I stood up "Whoa mom what is going on?" Jenny gasped "Now they're grey!" My mom's face darkened "Go. Home. Now." I flinched back, the flames on the candles fizzled out, the wind stopped completely, the smell of the ocean vanished, and the earth below me pulsed faster.

 "They're yellow now." Jenny mumble then grabbed Bell and ran out of my back yard, I watched as the gate slammed shut. Then my mother's hand wrapped around my arm and she tugged me into the house. Wincing at her tight hold she tossed me on the living room couch then reached onto the shelf above the T.V. pulling down a piece of paper.

 She ran to the phone and punched in a number, I sat there confused and scared. I heard the soft click and my mom flinched then frowned "Tina Kinten." She spoke softly, her voice sounding tight, she shook her head, "Todd Kinten."

 She was tell the person our names? Why? "Sorry, Todd Ryder Kinten. He is 16 years old." Another pause, stop giving the person my information! "No, he has never shown signs before. Yes I'm positive, yes I would like you to transfer him."

 I jumped when the doorbell rang, mom hung up the phone and rushed to the door letting in a woman with long paper white hair. Narrow face, black eyes, she wore a dark blue pin striped skirt with a matching jacket and white shirt under it.

 Her eyes landed on me "Todd Ryder Kinten?" An icy chill crept up my spine, fear froze my body and I just sat there staring wide eyed at the impossibly tall woman. She nodded and turned to my mother, smiling softly.

 "We will take care of it from here on in Tina. Visiting will be allowed on holidays, birthdays, funerals, and medical emergencies for both sides. He is allowed electronics and three things of great importance, nothing else. Clothes, food, and other necessities will be provided. Payment is not required. If, for any reason, you wish to remove your son from this school we will not give you any trouble but we advise you to keep a close eye on the use of his abilities. You will be sent regular updates on his health, progress, and grades. If there is anything else just give me a call."  

 The woman turned to me her black eyes shining with kindness, "He has a rare ability. One that links his emotions with the color of his eyes." My eyes flashed to my mom then back to the woman, she smiled "Grey is confusion, gold is shock, yellow is fear. I am interested to see the others. Now move along little one, pack your things."

 I frowned and looked back at my mom who had started to cry, "Mama?" I stood up and reached for her, she broke into heavy sobs and pulled me into a bone crushing hug. "I don't know if I should be h-happy or sad!" She wailed in my ear, I flinched.

 Before I knew it my bags were packed, my iPod fully charged sat in my pocket headphones sitting on my neck as my house vanished behind me. The car I sat in had a dark red interior and black exterior, the man driving could not be seen through the black sheet cutting the car in half.

 The tall woman sat across from me filling out papers, she didn't look at me as her mouth opened "Todd, you are being transferred to my School of the Magically Gifted, S.M.G. do to the events that took place in your back yard." I rose my eyebrows at her slowly my eyes still wide.

 "You will live on campus, your dorm house is number 112. You have two roommates as does everyone. The house is a three bedroom, three bath with a large kitchen/dining area, along with a game room. Your roommates' names are David and Benson Sivillian, they are brothers. You will not be required to attend your classes for the rest of this week though I will inform the Sivillian brothers to show you around." I turned my eyes to my hands in my lap then back up at her to find her looking at me.

 She had a thoughtful look, "We will figure out the extent of your abilities in time. For now just try to settle in, and don't piss off the Shifters, they tend to be a bit touchy." I pressed my lips together as the car came to a sudden stop and the door popped open. I was ushered out my bags already on the ground next to me as I stared up at the large black, metal gates that made up an elegant design. 

 "In you go, turn right as soon as you walk in and you'll be taken into the boy's side of the dorm homes. Find the one with 112, Benson and David have been informed of your arrival." I looked back as the woman shut the door and then car sped off to the other side of the super large building that could be classified as three castles in one.

 I picked up my pathetically small bag, since I could only take three things of importance to me I grabbed my red bandana that mom had bought for me when I was smaller. I also had a picture of Jenny giving me a piggy back, and me giving Bell a piggy back and all of us falling over. Then I had the chain that I always wear with a small guitar pick on it. It had belonged to a very close friend of mine who died, he was obsessed with the bass guitarist from some band I couldn't remember. He got the pick from the guy at a concert once, he treasured it greatly. 

 Tossing the bag over my shoulder I watch the numbers on the doors change as I walked, I stop in front of the door that had 112 on it.

 I sighed and rubbed my arm looking at the ground before lifting my hand and hitting the door with my knuckles. I always hated knocking on doors, it hurts my hand.

 "COME IN!"