Bonded

I sat dazed on the seat, I couldn't remember how I got here, nor did I care. Benson sat as close to me as possible, feeling his warmth was the only thing keeping me from breaking down.

 My left side felt cold, I was half lost without having David's familiar touch. Benson refused to speak to anyone but me, but I couldn't bring myself to talk back. I was sure if I opened my mouth I would snap. A small rush of wind brought my attention back to the real world, Kneller's hooves were clicking on the ground as he walked around the room thinking his little head off.

 Mitch, Fifi, and Alexandria had all gone home for the holidays leaving Crow the only one of my closest friends here. Mrs. Roxe was talking hushed with Patrick, Johns, Nicolas, and a very uncertain looking Seth.

 "His mate is missing what the hell do you expect him to look like?!" Seth slapped Nicolas on the back of his head "Will you shut up, he is in the room you know." My eyes turned to Seth, his voice sounding unnaturally tender. As if he were trying not to upset Benson and I.

 "Why would that bother you?" My voice came out as a croak, scratching after holding back the wave of tears for the last 6 hours. Seth turned his eyes on me and I saw something I wouldn't expect from him, sympathy. He walked over to me and patted my shoulder "I know what its like to loose a mate, especially when you have two."

 I looked up at him as he stared at a wall "I had two mates. They were twins, Jane and Jake. It was Jake that died first, he was... killed... by a daemon. Jane died two years after during a rogue attack, she wasn't strong enough to fight them off." I felt my throat thicken and forced back that lump "How did you deal with it?"

 I whispered shakily, he glanced down at me "Jane gave me a child before she died. Looks just like her mother... who looked just like her brother."

 He took a deep breath before turning to leave the room we were in, I took notice of the gold trimmed fire place that told me we were in Mrs. Roxe's office. As he opened the door he paused "Todd, this is a lot to handle for a 17 year old. I'm sorry... for being such an ass to you. To behonest I was jealous, you have both of your mates, I don't." He shook his head softly "Before you break remember that you still have one mate, and it is possible to get your second one back. Fight, before you give up..." I could hear the double meaning behind his words, telling me exactly what he wanted me to know.

 He gave up before she died and he regrets it because he could have saved her.

 I heard someone sigh as Benson's arm wrapped around my waist, I leaned into his chest but stared at the door where Seth had vanished "That's the Seth I remember..." Nicolas mumbled quietly, I felt the cold drop of water on the back of my hand followed by another.

 I sniffed and turned to bury my face in Benson's chest, my shoulder shook with the effort of holding in the sobs that wanted out.

 His arms wrapped around me and he pulled me into his lap and tightened his hold until we were crushed together. I felt him begin to rock back and forth as his shallow breathing rushed in my ear when he hushed me, "I want him back." My words were muffled in his chest, his hand curled into a fist around my shirt "I know. Me too."

 The door to the office slammed open and I was ripped away from Benson and slammed into the bookshelf. A cold, scale covered tail wrapped around my body and constricted painfully, my wing being bent in an unnatural position making me whimper "Where. Is. He?!"

 I opened my watering eyes and found Zetzu with his lips pulled back showing his fangs, eyes narrowed dangerously.

 I gasped "W-who?!" His tail tightened and he slammed me on the ground before sliding until he was over me, saliva dripped onto my cheek. He hissed at me and I realized it wasn't saliva, it was venom. My eyes widened "Your brother! Where is he?!" I struggled to get out of his hold but failed miserably, "I thought he was with you!"