Instinct

Of course. do to the fact we were really late the bell ended up ringing while my wings were still useless. Mr. Donale wasn't happy we took up the rest of his class with mindless chatter. The Fawn, as I learned he was, stayed pressed so close to me it was rediculous. His name was Kneller.

 At the moment he was strapping a wing brace to my chest so my wings will stay up instead of drag on the floor. He pushed my wings up and folded them comfortable against my back and buckled the strap, its mainly used for broken wings.

 He nodded and clapped "Alight! Come on coach will know what to do, also we can't be late." The brace felt weird, and constricting, and really uncomfortable.

 Nyx sniffed at it as I followed the happy Fawn down the hallways and outside toward the impossibly large feild behind the main building. A small group was forming there around the horse man I had meat earlier. Richard.

 He spotted us as we got closer, "Kneller. Just in time. What in heaven's name did you do Todd?!" I glared at the brace and stretched my arm down trying to get comfortable. My mom slapped the back of my head gently, "Stop fiddling with it."

 I groaned and pulled at the straps again, Bell and Jenny had attached to Kneller. Richard eyed me as I tugged at the brace, "What happen, you couldn't have broken a wing could you?" I shook my head and growled at the straps clinging to my body. I felt caged, and unable to do anything about it my anxiety was slowly on the rise.

 My mom slapped me again a bit harder "What did I say?" I huffed and pulled at them again "I can't help it... GOD DAMNIT! KNELLER I'M GOING TO KILL YOU FOR THIS!" My anger bubbled over and I lunged for the fawn. He squeaked and hopped away from me easily, I slid and ran after him.

 Jumping I pulled him into a headlock, he yelped and twisted his body away from me hopping away quickly. He was panting a little as I started after him again, Nyx slid off my back suddenly causing me to freeze mid step. I spun around and saw Richard holding her in his arms, he wasn't hurting her and she looked relaxed so I wasn't too worried. Until he started to back away from me.

 My chest tightened, my back tensed and I ran after him. His serious face hardened and he turned and ran, his muscles showing under his shiny dark brown fur. The distance grew larger, the fear building inside me stopped my legs.

 I fell to my knees unable to breath as he stopped nearly 50 years away from me, Nyx frantic to get back to me. Then it happened my fear collapsed, my chest seemed to explode with energy that traveled back into my wings. The brace snapped leaving burning marks were the straps had rested, heat poured from my mouth and I closed the distance in mere seconds.

 My body connected with the centaur's making him fly forward, my legs hooked around his neck and I swung forward pulling Nyx's body from his grasp and pushing off him. Breathing heavy I found myself hovering a good 20 feet off the ground clinging to Nyx for dear life.

 She hugged me back and  wrapped herself around me, I looked down as Richard slowly picked himself up off the ground. Instantly my trust with him shattered and I felt uneasy. He was a nice man this morning when he taught me to hover, he knew I needed Nyx so why would he do that? I frowned as he shook himself off and glanced up at me, then at my mom.

 I panicked a moment and dived grabbing her, along with Jenny and Bell before forcing myself up again. Breathing heavier I worked to keep three extra bodies high enough, my panic eased a bit. My mom held Jenny and Bell tightly to her and yelled at me to put them down.

 Another student flew up to me, his wings a dark brown with lighter brown highlights and white spots. "You're the new kid right? Todd?" I pushed away from him and cling my family closer to me, he shook his carefully "Relax, I'm not going to do anything. Coach tends to take things a bit far to push us, you need to calm down."