Chapter. 40

*wipes tear*.

------------------------------

Chapter. 40

N A T E

"Oh my god, Nathen!" My mom screamed in terror, running up to me as Brock and Trevor helped me off the bus. I rolled my eyes, knowing my mom was going to make a huge deal of this and make things way worse than they really need to be.

"I'm fine, mom," I muttered as Brock handed me my crutches. "Please, I beg of you, don't freak out."

"Freak out?" Mom snapped, and looked at Trevor and Brock as they just stood there with all their stuff. "Nate, your leg. What happened? I got a call from your Coach last night saying you were in the hospital? I..I...oh my god." She started fanning herself, taking in deep breaths.

"I broke my knee-"

"Your what?"

I blinked. "My knee, mom. The patella, actually. You know the bone that forms the anterior point of the knee and protects the front of the joint-"

"YES, NATHEN. Thank you, I'm well aware of what a patella is. I just..." she started shaking her head, and then frowned at me. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't be freaking out at you. It wasn't your fault."

"Yes, it was," Trevor said bluntly. "Sorry, but your son is a dumbass."

My mom looked at Trevor, and then nodded in agreement when she thought I wasn't looking. I scoffed, shooting a glare at Trevor was smirking at me, then winked.

"When we get home, I will make you some Tomato soup," Mom pulled me into a tight hug, rubbing my back as she kissed my cheek. "I missed you. How was Philly?"

Brock grinned, flashing his missing tooth. "Great, Mrs. Dawson."

My mom tried to ignore the fact that Brock had a missing tooth, and then smiled at us. "That's good. Did you guys win?"

"Yeah," I said. "We did."

"Awesome! Oh, and your sister's home! She's on her reading week."

I groaned. Rayne going away to University was the first happiest thing that's ever happened to me. The first. I can just imagine the torture awaiting for me. I pouted, staring at the ground as mom and Trevor caught up on life.

"Hey, man," Brock nudged me. "You good?"

"Yeah," I laughed. "Are you?"

"Yeah bro, just dandy." Brock had a huge bandaid on his cheek, almost covering his lip. It was really hard to not laugh at him, not gonna lie.

Trevor slung his bag over his shoulders. "Well, Laurie, I should get going. I have some business to take care of," he shot me a look before smiling at my mom. My mom frowned.

"Oh? You're not staying for dinner?"

I chuckled. Trevor shrugged his shoulders, and knowing him, he was waiting for her to offer.

"I'll probably come over after....if that's okay?"

"DUH."

"Okay, chill mom," I said, putting my hand on her shoulder. "Let's go. Please." I took my crutches and started to miserably hop my way towards where my mom's car was parked. "See you guys later!"

"See ya, Nate!" Coach waved. "Get better, son."

"Man, that Trevor..." Mom was saying, her eyes on the road. "That's a fine looking dude. I'm sorry. But that's a fine. Looking. Dude."