Chapter 3 - Nautical Twilight

Edward Dace

Edward Dace.

13. November.
Saturday, 7:13 p.m.
Harriet Medical City.

I HAVE A VERY, VERY BAD MEMORY.

I forgot Luciano Lukas, my childhood, and Dave Casedale Drew. I repressed them, pushed them away into the dark, and kept them locked away until they disappeared out of my sight and out of my life.

I chose to forget because that was the only way I could protect myself from hurting. It was the only way I could sleep without drowning in nightmares. It was the only way I could look at people in the eye without flinching at their littlest moves.

It was the only way to breathe.

I thought, "Who cares about memories?"

"Who cares if I don't remember them?"

"Who cares if I leave them?"

Now I think I know the answer.

What's the cost of this selfish desire to protect myself? A shitty defence mechanism.

"Hi, I'm Edward Dace," I said, clenching my fists behind me. I didn't know what to feel. I didn't dream that I would introduce myself twice to a person.

"I'm your friend."

Or at least in my own little world.

Are we still friends, now that you don't have anything as proof that our friendship existed?

Joyeuse stared, barely recognising me. He cut his looks between me and the door, possibly wondering when the person who introduced herself as his mum would come back.

Of course he'd want his mum.

He's feeling alone and confused and hurt.

Of course he wants his mum back.

I tried to fill him in. "I—I'm your classmate and we live in 372A High Street, together with two of our other... friends."

Silence. He wouldn't talk to me. He just bit his lip in frustration, staring at the door.

"I-If you want to, I could call your mum?" I suggested, walking to and opening the door. I stepped outside, using the chance to take a deep breath.

Sir Arthur wasn't there anymore. Elise and Corey were still talking to the doctor. When Corey noticed me, he patted Elise's shoulder and excused himself from the conversation.

"Is everything okay, does 'e need something?" he asked.

"He wouldn't talk to me," I replied. "I figured he'd rather have his mum with him."

"T'e doctor's teaching us what to do and what to say to 'elp." Corey sighed and shook his head. "I can't believe t'is is happening. It's Jule. 'is superpower is t'inking. What would 'e do now?"