Chapter 19 - Astra Inclinant, Sed Non Obligant

DESPERATELY TO BE

DESPERATELY TO BE

Nicholas James.

12. March.
Sunday, 1:00 p.m.
Wonderland Org.
San Lorenzo Base.

IT'S A FUNNY STORY. It's funny, really.

It's really funny how all of you are aware of Jule's pain. It's funny how you sympathise with Arthur. It's funny; how a massive shift in point of views has led you to believe that all of these madness revolve around Seven-Minute Semblance and forget that the world is a wonderland of people pretending to be people.

I think that's fantastic.

"Well, Mr. Lion." I clutched the stuffed toy tighter with my left hand, holding a thick binder on the other. "I say it's time we put this madness behind."

Harold was not a traitor. Jule didn't betray me, he was simply confused.

Edward . . . Edward deserved everything.

Edwarddeservedeverything.

Edward deserved everything I didn't have.

I took a deep breath.

I stood in front of the two-storey townhouse Wonderland Org has considered their base for the past four years. The building was quaint and smelt like ilang-ilang flowers and petrol, but I knew what it exactly was: a property of someone who didn't care about me.

I gave the binder one last look.

"The Mad Hatter's plans, eh?"

I hummed along to the music of my ringing phone in my pocket. You see, making your favourite song your ringtone is actually an enjoyable way of ignoring your cousin's call for the fifth time. You can literally hum along to your betrayal.

I took a Zippo lighter out, scanning the pages of the binder.

"You taught me how to write, didn't you, daddy?" I talked to the untidy handwritings of the binder. "Oh right, you didn't. Jule did. And I never saw you write a bloody thing because you've always sent me away and been always careful of paper trails."

A car screeched and parked behind me. Two men that I've recognised were from Wonderland strode towards me, grabbing my shoulders and my arms without even a hello.

"Where's Katharine?" asked the blond on my left.

"Good day to you too," I replied. "Tipping down, innit?"

"The sun's shining, sir," answered the one to my right. "Where's Katharine and Jasper?"

"I sent them home. Didn't want them to witness their headquarters in flames."

They started dragging me into their car, very much like how we did to my dearest brother Edward Dace this morning.

"The King of Hearts calls for you," one of them informed.