Chapter 20 - A Part of a Family

Nicholas James

Nicholas James.

12. March.
Sunday, 2:00 p.m.
SMS's Home.

"Hi, Jule. I'm a fan."

Looking back on everything, looking back two years ago, I wish I'd chosen to stay a fan. I wish I'd chosen my best friend than proving my worth to a dead man.

Jule glared at me in exasperation. He looked different. Less confident, more fearful. Colourful feelings. More human, this time.

Edward snapped, "Mahangin ka pero hindi ka fan, hinayupak ka." He seized the nearest wooden spoon in the kitchen and hit my head repeatedly.

I shielded my head with my arms.

"Anong pumasok sa isip mo at papatayin mo akong gago ka, ano, ano, ano?"

Jule pulled Edward and his wooden spoon away from me. "You have the nerve to come here and show your face after everything you've done."

I smiled at him. At this point, I'm not sure what I've done.

"Didn't you miss me, Jule?"

Jule punched me in the face. I staggered and laughed, rubbing my cheek. Edward was about to throw a kick when Laevateinn, the fourth member of Seven-Minute Semblance, grabbed his collar and dragged him out of the kitchen.

"The three of you are here," said Laevateinn. "Let's start the meeting."

And everyone in the house came to attention. Like secret soldiers lining up and heading to a bullpen. Laevateinn didn't even need to say a specific command, everybody marched quietly and swiftly where they needed to be.

Everyone simply listened.

I was headed to the dining room, where the long dining table that stood as the conference table was, when Jule clutched the hem of my shirt and made me stay.

Seriousness, frustration, confusion, and repressed anger exuded from his greyish blue eyes. His hand trembled, but I doubted it was purely from anger.

"Edward Dace is one of my best friend," he started in a low voice, almost a growl.

I bit my lip, but I kept the smile.

"He almost died. Zweihänder almost died."

"I know."

His hands were grasping my collars in no time. "You know how gunshots affect me and you used that against me."

I scowled. "What are you trying to say?"

He hissed between his teeth, "If you had even the tiniest bit of respect for our friendship, you wouldn't do that to me."

I shoved him away from me. "There is no friendship anymore, Jule! You made that clear when you called me Nik and betrayed me afterwards. You made that clear when you—"