Chapter 8 - We Fought the Spaghetti Monster

Edward Dace

Edward Dace.

28. November.
Sunday, 7:30 p.m.
The Brown Mansion.

I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WHEN THE MAN REACHED OUT HIS HAND.

I was speechless, and I blanked out. When he reached out his hand, did he want me to take it? Did he want me to kiss it, The Godfather style?

I got so nervous that my hand moved on it's own, taking the guy's hand and pressing it against my forehead. Ilang segundo ang nakalipas bago ako natauhan at dinatnan ng hiya. Bakit ako nagmano sa kanya?

"Do you remember me?" he asked, not even the slightest offended by my action.

I nodded and sat beside him, gazing at Fenrir, because Fenrir was the only familiar thing around. "You spoke with me before I ran away from home, ultimately changing my life."

He smiled, patting my head. Kaya ako napapamano sa 'yo, eh. "How far have you come?"

"Oh, quite far." I caught myself. "I mean... I'm sure I'm not the same Edward Dace that I am before."

"How?"

"I have... learnt a lot?"

Bakit tunog hindi ako sigurado.

"I don't run away anymore!" I added, proudly. "And I think I'm braver. Not Laevateinn-brave, but braver. A-And I have friends now too."

"But why are you alone?" he asked, closing his eyes and leaning back. He petted Fenrir and I think he's humming but it might be the crickets chirping giving me the illusion.

"I'm not alone, I came here with... Coronado Chronicles." I bit my lip and ran my fingers along Futhark's metal bracelet.

I'm not alone, I convinced myself.

"They'll come back," I said aloud, because I was hesitant and slightly unconvinced. I thought maybe hearing myself say it would give it conviction.

"Indeed, they will."

My mind was thrown into a confused state for a while, possibly because I have my doubts about discussing my life with a complete stranger, and this urge to just tell him everything.

I realised I have this unhealthy habit of opening up to strangers and it has stung me once when I opened up to Nicholas in that tea shop, when I thought he couldn't understand Tagalog.

"You're... Njal, right?" I asked. I thought getting more info about the other person would make him less of a stranger. "The person they call the Alfadur?"

"They call me by those name, yes."

"Oh, that's not your real name." I shrugged. "I get it... You're Sir Lance's adoptive father? How old are you? You look too young to have grandchildren."