Chapter 17 - A Taste of His Own Medicine

Edward Dace

Edward Dace.

11. March.
Saturday, 7:00 p.m.
Windsor Hotel.
Room 421.

AT THIS POINT, I should've been aware that actors are different from the characters they portray on television. I don't know why I expected Aodhan Uresonderry to be the charming, witty, and sassy detective Dylan Holly who solved cases using his superior intellect whilst giving high IQ humour.

It's like discovering that Daniel Radcliffe isn't actually Harry Potter or that Johnny Depp isn't actually a shapeshifter.

Dylan stayed with us in our hotel room. He sat beside the window (where he said he could see the parking lot), sipping wine and being at home. Dylan has medium-length copper blond hair, like Corey, and bright blue eyes.

He has a posh, calm façade and an aura of royalty, making the simple scene of him drinking wine and waiting for his son seem like it was out of a scene from 1980's British movie. Given, he's the drama queen's father, which makes him . . . the great drama king.

"Excuse me, Dylan," I called, getting tired of watching him.

I sat on the bed. Laevateinn slept on the other bed like a starfish, whilst Futhark read a book on the coffee table. I caught Futhark's attention. He looked up and furrowed his brows.

"Why are you here with us? Don't you have your own hotel room?"

Dylan took a long sip of his wine before he turned to me and replied, "Me manager thinks it's better I'm 'ere wit' ya, plus me missus said if I stuck wit' Edward Dace I'd meet Jule."

Ah yes. The Irish accent.

"Tinakbuhan ka po ni Joyeuse, baka po hindi n'ya gustong makita ka," Futhark said, putting his book down.

Dylan crinkled his nose and frowned at Futhark. "You keep talking but I really don't understand anything you say."

"Kay Tita Elise po ba nagmana ng katalinuhan ang mga anak ninyo?" Futhark asked innocently. I heard an angelic choir singing sweetly behind him, gracing Futhark's saccharine savagery.

Dylan turned to me. "What did he say?"

I was so torn. I wanted to be sarcastic but I also wanted to appear clever and smart in front of Dylan Holly (not Aodhan Uresonderry). It physically hurt.

"Thanks for the stare." Dylan then turned to Laevateinn, who just woke up and started eating an apple without even sitting up. "You speak English. What did the Norwegian boy say?"

Laevateinn didn't even bother looking up at him. "Er haben gesagt, "Du bist ein Dummkopf." mein Herr Uresonderry."

Dylan stared at him.

Futhark stood up. "I'm sorry, Sir Uresonderry, galit ka po ba—" he coughed—"did I do something wrong? Because I'm sensing that you dislike me."