VORSTELLUNGEN || Chapter 7 - How Do I Tell the Good from Evil?

Edward Dace

Edward Dace.

1. April.
Saturday, 8:30 a.m.
Akureyri, Iceland.

SEVEN DAYS after we left Vorstellungen.

Joyeuse and I stood outside the gates of the home of this person everyone called "Mr. T. Yahtzee". Yahtzee, like the dice game. The drama queen and I were here for a mission and this time, we weren't nervous.

We're no longer scared. We're no longer the weak, shaky teenagers that people treated like kids. A lot happened ever since that incident with the stolen Brisingamen necklace and it has only made us more confident, stronger, and wiser.

"Our contact has given me the correct information, this is Yahtzee's base," I told Joyeuse, checking on him at the same time.

He cut his hair shorter again, but it was only to get rid of all the remaining dyed strands. He said he preferred being blond again. He started wearing darker shades of clothing again too, and I was glad he's feeling better and better.

He changed, but I thought this Joyeuse beside me was better.

Seven days ago he was a mess.

Seven days ago, we were rounded up at the hotel lobby in Mýrdalshreppur, Vik. At first, I didn't know what it was and why we were arrested, all I know was that I wanted to take Joyeuse and Futhark out of that place.

I wanted to take them somewhere safe and far, somewhere quiet and peaceful. They've been through a lot already. I wanted them to rest. I wanted them to take a break from all the bullshit the world's throwing at us.

I can take all of them, but, hey—universe? Pagod na sina Futhark, Joyeuse, at Sir Arthur. Kahit ako na lang ang pahirapan mo. Kaya ko pa. I can take anything.

"I wanna ask the shortie wearing red!"

I can take anything but an insult to my height.

This Ruhmfried bastard showed up in our lives out of nowhere and somehow he managed to ruin four consecutive days. We've only known him for three days, actually. In-advance ko lang ang fourth day dahil sigurado akong iisipin ko pa rin s'ya kinabukasan.

"HOY PUTANGINA KA," I screamed at him.

Why did he always conveniently appear at the worst times?

Ruhmfried loosened his grasp of Joyeuse's hair. Gagong 'to, magtatanong na lang mananabunot pa. Ang hilig-hilig humawak sa tao, ang hilig mang-ayos ng damit at ng buhok.

Kawawa naman si Joyeuse, putangina mo Ruhmfried lumayo-layo ka sa paningin kong hayup ka.

"Hey, Jule," Ruhmfried said. I had the feeling that he knew what my real name was, he just respected my choice of introducing myself as Jule. "I wanna ask you something."

He side-glanced at the wide-eyed Joyeuse before walking towards me.

I wanted to run to Joyeuse, he was shaking and disoriented and he needed us. It sucked that I couldn't because we were handcuffed behind our backs and Flosi's behind me. Nakakatakot gumalaw, baka mamaya ay mamali ako ng hinga at bigla na lang akong bigwasan.