Hot Cocoa (Thor Odinson)

You hummed slightly as you bustled about the kitchen. The stove was heating milk as you chopped up chocolate chips for hot chocolate, real, authentic hot chocolate, not the instant crap. It took more time and effort but it was incredibly worth it.

"Lady ______?" you heard an unmistakably deep voice ask from the door.

"Hi Thor, what brings you here?" you smile at him from your cutting board.

"I was wondering if you would mind my company, as the agents are away on business, Sir Stark and Sir Banner are in the lab, and Captain Rodgers is out for the day."

"Of course you can keep me company. To think of it, I'm making more than enough hot chocolate for two." You turned to stir the milk to keep it from settling too long.

"What is this 'hot chocolate' you speak of?" Thor walked toward the counter where you were working.

"It is spectacular," you gushed a little, "it's creamy and sweet and rich.... Thor you've eaten chocolate before right?" He nodded, "Imagine drinking it!"
His face broke into a huge grin as he imagined the taste.

"I must have some of this immediately! Such a drink sounds incredible! When will it be ready?" He stood over the milk, as if willing it to become hot chocolate.

"Patience," you winked at him, "It will be ready when it's ready." Thor looked at you with a slightly perturbed expression.

"Well yes, but..."

"Go sit at the bar; I'll bring it over when it's done." He went, sulking a little, "How about you tell me a story about Lady Sif and The Warriors Three to past the time?"

Thor quickly brightened at the mention of his friends.

"Shall I tell you about the time Fandral was forced to sing a Valeturian Death Worm to sleep to save all of our skins when we accidentally stumbled into its den?"

"Oh please do!" you giggled at the thought.

"Well, we were on a hunt at the time, Sif, Fandral, Hogun, Volstagg, and myself, and it was very late in the day. We had been out since morning looking for some game but had had no luck finding so much as a jeriticus rabbit. We were looking for a place to make camp for the night when the ground beneath us began shaking. As we tried leaping to firmer ground, the earth around us cracked and fell away! We fell down into the cavern; it was a miracle we were unharmed. As we all stood at the bottom of the ravine the beast lay before us; it was as large as three of me across with one beady black eye on top of its long body. Its flesh was pale, sickly white, and its large, black hole of a mouth faced us, the rows of razor sharp teeth as if on display for us.

You must understand that the Valeturian Death Worm has its name for a reason. Not because it is malicious, but because when it wakes it eats everything in its path to burrow a new den for itself. When it is not eating, it is sleeping, and when it is not sleeping, it is eating. Usually it is hard to find these creatures, but this one must have burrowed closer to the surface than most.

So we had fallen into the worm's lair and it was beginning to wake due to the disturbance. Its great maw flexed open and shut and the skin rippled. We froze, hoping the beast would stay asleep, but it seemed to come only more awake. As we began to fear the situation, Fandral held up one hand to silence us. While we were still quiet, he began to hum the tune of an old lullaby that we had all been sung as children. The creature's movements began to slow, and, bolstered by this, Fandral leapt into the words. Now, Fandral has a fair voice and has trained himself to sing very prettily for his various quests to woo beautiful maidens, but this once we five were all grateful for it. The beast began to slow even more and its great mouth closed and its eye blinked shut and for a moment we were safe. However, the moment Fandral stopped singing the worm began to stir and writhe. Thus the task was set that we had to climb up and out of the ravine without Fandral stopping his song. It took us close to three hours and half a dozen close calls to get to the top and finally roll on safer ground. And even at the surface Fandral continued singing! It was only after we were a good quarter of a league away that he finally stopped, and we knew we were truly safe. Of course, we teased Fandral about it mercilessly, though his pretty voice saved us all. But that is not even the best part of this adventure. The best part is that for the next day or so, Fandral had no voice left to talk with and we were free from his bragging!" Thor let out a large belly laugh and you joined in. The more you heard of his friends the more you wanted to meet them. They seemed like so much fun!